cheap, decent sounding chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Mar 18, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I need a chorus pedal to add modulation to the repeats of my dd-2 that is in a wet only loop. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a nice sound and hopefully something relatively quiet. Open to used stuff, hoping to keep the price below $150, below $100 is even better.

Thanks

2. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

I've been using the Dano Cool Cat chorus at gigs for the past 8+ years. Just for clean parts. It's so nice and shimmery to my ears. I also use a Dano DaddyO overdrive and the DanEcho in my chain. For a while I felt a little silly running such inexpensive Dano effects between my PRS Customs and my H&K Triamp MkI. But they've worked! And even though I tried many other pedals, for the chorus the Dano has been my favorite. This is all about to change though, as I've got a Visual Sound Route 66 V2 on the way for comp/overdrive and will shortly have the Liquid Chorus Echo V2 on the way for chorus/delay. But for live sound, I still think the larger Dano pedals are decent (especially considering the price). I've been hauling around a reissue TS9 Tube Screamer for years as backup, but every time I put it on the board with the DaddyO, it gives me no reason to replace the DaddyO. The only reason I'm going with the Visual Sound to replace it is that I play a lot of country and need and compressor for my ASAT tele.

3. TimH

TimH Member

Arion SCH-Z...best $35 I've ever spent.

4. Sandro

Sandro Member

Arion SCH-1 or Boss CE-2

5. dave s

dave s Member

may not be the cheapest of the lot, but you can't go wrong with a Boss CH-1. Probably $75 used.

dave

6. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Ibanez BCL. The black one - not the Bi-Mode Chorus, which is a bit more expensive (but I think it's actualy the same circuit). You can get them pretty reasonably on eBay

7. joshrum

joshrum Member

Boss CE-5... its only about $80. i only use it for clean playing, and it actually gets a wide range of different sounds. i would recommend it unless you are one of the boutique users on this forum.

8. 4styx

4styx Member

I'd say get a delay with modulation,like the Carbon Copy(mxr) or Jauques Prisoner.If you end up getting a chorus make sure it has a mix knob.

9. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

If you're running in parallel, I would go with vibrato on the repeats, myself. It'll more closely emulate a delay with modulated rate.

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

+1 on the boss ce5. Used it for my faux leslie for a long time. . . love that it has an effect level knob. . . . very tweakable. . . probably around 50 on the used market.

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Lou, for something readily available and cheap, I'd go for the Boss CE-5. I had one for about a year as my main and only chorus, and I really dug it. Check it out.

12. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

What about a used Visual Sound H2O? You can probably find one for around $100 (maybe less). The H2O is a clean, flexible modern sounding chorus. And you have the delay side as a bonus.

Personally, I didn't care for mine and sold it. It was too hi-fi for my taste; I like analog delays and darker, warmer vibes. I can see why some people really like this pedal, however. Just depends on what you're looking for. Try one out if you can.

Good luck,
    - jeff -

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Jackie,

What's the difference - does vibrato modulate the entire signal where chorus blends in modulated with clean? Also, can you recommend some vibrato pedals to check out?

Thanks

14. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

15. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Another one for the Boss CE-5; it keeps finding its way back to my board.

16. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

DOD FX65...best $15 I've ever spent :D

17. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Danelectro Fab Chorus - I paid $15-$20 AU new on eBay. It's one of the best modern sounding choruses for the price and it's analogue. I've owned more expensive Boss units in the past and this one sounds better than they did, costs a fraction of the price and it's not noisy at all. It does the subtle chorus thing well but it also has some radical and bizzarre sounds when you dime all the knobs which sounds good with delays!!

18. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I remember picking a ce5 of the Bay for like $30.00. That was a few years back though.

19. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

+1 on the Cool Cat. I was going to suggest that before I even read your post. I like it alot, and I agree about the DaddyO - unfortunately I lost mine. Basically, for a cheap quality chorus, go Dano.

20. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

Another vote for the CE-5. It's not as "in your face" as some choruses, and produces some nice sounds.