cheap delay that runs well on batteries

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loveanddag, Jul 19, 2006.

1. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

Im in dire need of a delay pedal that will work a while running on batteries. also, cheap is good. my band is going to germany and obviously i cant go over there and power up a big ol pedalboard without a converter. so im paring everything down to just the stuff i have to have. i really need a delay pedal that i can run on batteries tho. any ideas? it doesnt have to sound amazing/have tap tempo/look pretty or anything. just cheap and battery operated. thanks.

2. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

In my opinion:
    On the cheap - score an Arion SAD-1 - you can pick em up on ebay for around $100 or less. Great 300 ms analog delay.
    To pick it up a notch, Get the Jaques Prisioner (@$200). Super quiet and clean with the bonus of modulation.

Both will work well with batteries. Neither are pretty, but they sound great.

3. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Behringer, danelectro, and Boss DD3 all under $100.

Aj

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

A Pedal Power 2 won't be any harder to power over there than your amplifier, assuming yours isn't battery powered.

5. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

But what's the problem -- these step-down converters are pretty cheap. I think I paid 25 EUR for a 100 Watt version.

6. AL30

AL30 Member

I doubt you're going to find a delay that will run very long on batteries. The chips draw too much current. It's the nature of the pedal. Considering the rate you'll be going through batteries you may as well just get a converter. It will be easier and (maybe) cheaper in the long run. You'll probably get no more than 6-10 hours of battery life from a delay - not worth the headache IMO.

The Arions are cheap and sound OK. Never used the Behringer but they are definitely cheap.

AL

7. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Yep - in my experience, delays absolutely eat batteries quick.
    I'd go with the Boss DD-3...

8. Thazy

Thazy Member

DD-3 would be my choice. Danelectro bypass mode is not good.

9. AL30

AL30 Member

Wow is that an understatement. When the batteries go so does your signal chain. Horrible design. But I like the sound of my Dan-Echo... when it decides to work.

AL

10. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I find that my Rocktron Short Timer delay can go for a fairly good amount of time on a single quality alkaline 9v battery.It's the only one of my delays that I can even think about running without an ac adapter.

Ed

11. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Easy -

analog - Arion SAD-1 (love mine for slapbacks - goes to about 250ms)

digital - Boss DD-3 - (the standard - sounds good, works well about 850 ms)

You can snag either for under $100.00 used.