Cheap DIY Guitar Rack/Amp case!!

Hey guys, this project was inspired when my wife bought a new bookcase for her office room and wanted to throw the cheap particle board POS bookcase out. Well, the wheels started turning and the more I thought about it I could see it making a pretty nice guitar rack!

Materials:

1) $6 worth of cheap outdoor carpeting
2) $9- Spray Glue
3) $4- 10ft 1/2" Weather Stripping
4) $2- 2 gold hanger hooks
5) Free (I already had it lol) broken coily guitar cable
5) $5- box of 1.5" wood screws

Tools:
1) Drill
2) Jigsaw
3) Razorknife
4) Scissors
5) Pencil
6) Measuring Tape

First, I enforced the racketty old bookcase with a few wood screws in some "suspect" locations. Once the case was stable, I carefully measured out the spacings for the guitars. I wanted to be able to fit as many as possible without them clanging into one another, but also not too spaced out (would look terrible IMO) Through some trial and error, I cut the neck slots appoximately 2 1/4" apart from one another, with another 2" between spaces. That seemed to give them enough room and the desired look. Using a Jigsaw, it was messy messy work...I would definately recommend doing it outside if possible (whoops haha). After cleaning the dusty mess, I wiped the fresh cuts down with a damp cloth to remove dust and aid in sticking the weather stripping.

The weather stripping did not stick as well as I had hoped, so I used some 3M heavy duty spray glue to fininsh the job. The foam stripping is now secure, and it does an excellent job giving the guitar necks a bit of grip and softness to protect them from damage. After measuring/cutting out the carpeting for the base, I used the same spray glue to secure the carpet. Lastly, I hand-screwed a few hangers and tied the coil cable across so God forbid one of the guitars falls out (nearly impossible with the grippy weather stripping), the cable should catch the guitar. All in all the project cost me less than $30, given that you have the old bookcase and the tools to do the job. I hope you enjoyed me sharing this, let me know what you think! (sorry for the shi$%y blurry pics)

PS (I left one of the slots without the weather stripping for reference, besides I think I ran out a few feet short lol. :bonk Gotta get some more!)

Honk

Guitar rack is cool. This is the sort of shenanigans I'd get up to, as well. Couple of Qs or suggestions:

1. Very TGP, this: Do we know that foam weather stripping is nitro safe? :D

2. I wonder if a small incline to the bottom side would make the guitars less likely to fall out and negate the need for the curly cord.

2. Why does it help to have the amp in a box that's not a road case? I feel like it maybe just makes the amp take up more room! And possibly makes it sound funny if it's an open back combo?

Sorry if that all sounds nitpicky. I think it's a cool project.

Guitar rack is cool. This is the sort of shenanigans I'd get up to, as well. Couple of Qs or suggestions:

1. Very TGP, this: Do we know that foam weather stripping is nitro safe? :D

2. I wonder if a small incline to the bottom side would make the guitars less likely to fall out and negate the need for the curly cord.

2. Why does it help to have the amp in a box that's not a road case? I feel like it maybe just makes the amp take up more room! And possibly makes it sound funny if it's an open back combo?

Sorry if that all sounds nitpicky. I think it's a cool project.
Thanks for the reply!

1) I don't see how the foam could hurt the finish on the back of the neck. There aren't any chemicals as far as I know... I guess I'll find out haha

2) Even without the coily cable, the guitars are REALLY stable. The stripping is very grippy and compresses slightly for a "c" shaped reccess for the neck. I may add something later to hold the bottoms of the guitars in place just for giggles, but it currently does 100% of the job for me right now as is!

3) I put the amp in the leftover space because a) I don't have that many guitars (yet haha!), b) it fits PERFECTLY, c) it's my cheap solid state practice amp. I use that amp when I'm woodshedding, learning material off of the computer, practicing at low volumes with my wife in the other room, etc. It actually sounds pretty good in there! I'm not 100% sure I'd put a tube amp in there as it may need more ventilation, but if I decide to put one in there I may cut out the back panel to allow some air flow.

Honk

Thanks for the reply!

1) I don't see how the foam could hurt the finish on the back of the neck. There aren't any chemicals as far as I know... I guess I'll find out haha
I was thinking about the foam rubber on some guitar stands that has burned horrible skid marks into Les Pauls, you know? I don't know how similar the composition of weather stripping is. Just keep an eye on them babies!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Cool build! And you can stack stuff on top of the amp part that wouldn't necesarily be stable on the amp itself. Say your Echoplex, for example?

sunburst79

Nice little project there. Very Cool. Dr Bob1 raised a good point. I never have enough flat space in my room.

Trending Topics