Cheap, easy to use multi track software.

Oddos

I know next to nothing about these things.

Is there a simple and cheap program that works similar to a Roland VS880 or similar. Basically just multiple tracks, guitar modeling, possibility of adding a click/drum sounds, some effects and a transpose funtion for bass lines?

Does such a thing exist?

Steve Dallas

I don't know anything about that Roland, but a lot of people like Tracktion for less than $100.

Cakewalk also has some cool lower cost programs. Sonar Home Studio and Guitar Tracks Pro come to mind.

I've tried Cakewalk and Reaper. Cakewalk is anything but. Reaper is cheaper and I found it marginally easier to use than Cakewalk.

A lot of Mac people swear by Garageband, but I don't have any experience with it.

Tom Drake

After struggling and making due with a cheap version of Cakewalk for the past three years, and then finding I couldn't decipher the tech-ese of the Cubase LE that came with my new Lexicon Omega last week, I downloaded Reaper and had it up and running in about five minutes.

Relatively easy user interface and tons of clearly written user help on line.

The Gutenberg bible of home recording, sez I!

td

Steve Dallas

Oh. Yeah. I forgot about Reaper. I tried it and liked it several months ago. I'm a happy Sonar user, so I don't use it now, but I remember it being pretty cool and very easy.

56_Special

Reaper is a very very good program. The support is awesome. Post a bug or a request on the forums and the developer may very well respond within hours. And the routing is brilliant. Stable too.

Trending Topics