Cheap Gibsons

DonW

Velocity Town Angel
Double Platinum Member
1970:) ...but seriously, I always have an eye out on eBay. Check the mom & pop music stores for used Gibby's that come in. Gbase has had some decent deals in the last year. It's just a "right place, right time" kind of vibe with the used ones. Best of luck.:dude

Nigel11

The best deal I have found so far is $1,000 for a brand new Heritage cherry SG,without a case.

Motorhed

less sought after models are always cool to check out too, you can find some great guitars at great prices sometimes. and sometimes there is a reason they're not sought after.

frank62

i see you are in the general area of st. charles. there is a place there, can't remember the name, that had gibsons at half price. also swing city in collinsville, illinois had the same deal. seems that as much as dealers would like to have gibson they are letting them go because there is no longer enough profit in being a gibson dealer.

Alister

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have the patience to be a fulltime Ebay watcher, but if you do, youi can find remarkable deals on Gibsons, just like anything else. College boys selling SG's or LP Studios as credit cards or college loans come due seem to be one source of "their loss, my gain." But as I say, you gotta stay on watch through the whole bidding.
I got a '92 LP Studio w/ebony fretboard and '57 issues for $550. Simply, no one seemed to notice the guitar, and the lone pic on the listing did no jsutice to the guitar. I own and have owend several great LP's over the years, but for that price, or twice that, this guitar is beyond a steal.
I've seen LP Double cutaways at similar ridiculous deals.

T

theelectic

Speaking of cheap Gibsons, any thoughts on the recent LP Jrs? Decent player, or is it a $300 guitar with a $600 price tag because of the Gibson logo?

ABKB

That Gibson logo has always cost too many bucks! Probably always will sadly. Some of it is the American manufacture though.

whitehall

Although hurting from Gibsons insane internet policies, their network of ex-superdealers will still beat GC, 123 etc , by 300 -500.00 on almost everything.( except the real cheapie stuff). My favorite - Saul at CCity music- 1 888-5GIBSON. Steve at Wildwood is good also.

Robert1950

Does it have to have the Gibson name on it? If you don't care, there are the Elitist Epiphone Series. Made in Japan to Gibson standards. US electronics. Set up in the US. An Elitist Les Paul Studio can be had for several hundred dollars less, around $700 US. And Elitist '61 SG Standard for as low as $850. Used are a bargain.

jda

Originally posted by Alister
I don't have the patience to be a fulltime Ebay watcher, but if you do, youi can find remarkable deals on Gibsons, just like anything else. College boys selling SG's or LP Studios as credit cards or college loans come due seem to be one source of "their loss, my gain." But as I say, you gotta stay on watch through the whole bidding.
I got a '92 LP Studio w/ebony fretboard and '57 issues for $550. Simply, no one seemed to notice the guitar, and the lone pic on the listing did no jsutice to the guitar. I own and have owend several great LP's over the years, but for that price, or twice that, this guitar is beyond a steal.
I've seen LP Double cutaways at similar ridiculous deals.
+1 Some colors seem to sell for a lot less than others. Cherry always seems to go for less.

gkelm

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by theelectic
Speaking of cheap Gibsons, any thoughts on the recent LP Jrs? Decent player, or is it a $300 guitar with a $600 price tag because of the Gibson logo?
I paid 5-something for a used one, great guitar & worth it IMHO.
Greg

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Nigel11
Where is the best place to get a good price on Gibsons?
Center City Music
Wild West Guitars
Dave's Guitar
E.M. Shorts

sabbath90

musiciansfriend is selling les paul jr's pretty cheap. if you don't have a p-90 equipped axe you might wanna check one out.

T

theelectic

Originally posted by sabbath90
musiciansfriend is selling les paul jr's pretty cheap. if you don't have a p-90 equipped axe you might wanna check one out.
Exactly what I was thinking of getting, but knowing Gibson, and how they can muck up a $2000+ guitar, what's their $500 guitar going to look like? Especially if I can't play one beforehand. Might as well find a P90 Tokai for around the same price.

gkelm

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by theelectic
Exactly what I was thinking of getting, but knowing Gibson, and how they can muck up a $2000+ guitar, what's their $500 guitar going to look like? Especially if I can't play one beforehand. Might as well find a P90 Tokai for around the same price.
FWIW, the guys at the LP forum seem like 'em too.

Bottom line: Free shipping and return policy...what's to lose??

Trending Topics