• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Cheap, great sounding pedals that are too unreliable to gig with

jcs

I need all of the suggestions I can get so I can build my nephew a solid practice board....I would like to wind up with several fuzzes, an OD or 2, no more than 1 distortion, chorus, phaser and maybe 10 pedals altogether so he can get into the world of swapping pedals in & out.

No multi effects unless its a chorus/flanger etc.

He doesn't gig, he's a good guitar student trying to find his niche so to speak.

I have a few decent cheapies to add.

The best of the Chinese recent clones?

An assortment of cheap fuzzes that are different enough from one another...possibly 3 different cheapo fuzzes?

Thanks in advance.

Absent Ocean

Buy a bunch of Joyo stuff
Yeah there's a lot of neat Joyo stuff. Mooer makes a lot of decent pedals too. Just check the demos to avoid the stinkers

MXR makes some good cheapo mod pedals too. The Micro Chorus and Phase 90 can be had for around $60 used and are both great. The chorus in particular is really hard to beat IMO, I just bought a Mr Black Double Chorus to scratch my chorus itch and I think ill wind up selling it and getting another MC

bgmacaw

After a little over a year of buying a cheap Chinese pedal a month...

Biyang. Easily comparable to many US brands.

Joyo. The same.

Caline. Good as well. Maybe a few more corners cut.

Tom's Line Aroma. Decent but not quite as good as the ones above.

Ammoon. Copies of copies, mainly of Joyo and Mooer pedals, but are surprisingly well done.

Kokko. Meh. Not as good as others.

Behringer. Mostly decent Boss copies but that plastic case on most models is a turn off, justified or not.

jcs

Thanx all!

Any particular models stand out among these?

I mean REALLY good performers?

I don't want to spend more than $35 a pedal unless its a rare or exceptional pedal...I rarely spend more than $60 for anything used anyway myself (with a few exceptions).

I tend to always look for DOD stuff as well...often times the switch is wonky, which isn't necessarily a problem...same with some of the later Ibanez stuff.

Squatch57

The Mooer Tender Octaver is a must have because there's no other cheapies that will do the trick
(but the Mooer is harder than others to find supercheap)
As far as dirt and modulation go, there's a bunch of options

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I don't want to spend more than $35 a pedal unless its a rare or exceptional pedal...
I don't know about anyone else but this line got a laugh out of me! (But let me hasten to add that I think that that's a pretty insightful way of looking at things!)

: )

jcs

I once paid up for a Maestro phaser...$80!

I have almost zero interest in the high end boutique pedal thing other than maybe a really good compressor.

Thru the years i've learned (like others) that some production pedals (like my array of Boss CE-2) have appreciated in value in the used market...same with old Rats etc.

If there happens to be some exceptional fuzz for example that is regarded as a cheapie but is discontinued or available in much smaller numbers, I will pay more.

I'm not going to spend $600 for 10 pedals for my nephew!

jcs

The Mooer Tender Octaver is a must have because there's no other cheapies that will do the trick
(but the Mooer is harder than others to find supercheap)
As far as dirt and modulation go, there's a bunch of options
That one definitely is on my radar!

I tend to agree there are lots of dirt & modulation options.

For example, a cheapie I dearly love is the Ibanez DE7 Delay....I have 3 of these and will gladly pay $40 or more for another locally if it looks unused like 2 of mine are.

I may go ahead and send one of these to my nephew but he has a Soundtank delay he is fine with.

jcs

Danelectro French Toast, Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz and any mini fuzz face clone.
I've got the V2 Cool Cat fuzz...I need the V1.

Need to pick up a French Toast, thanks for reminding me...I can probably find a new one under $30 easily.

Fuzz Face....not sure how nephew will get along with a FF in general...ive had several real ones and made big bucks on them in the past.

EH Double Muff is pretty cool for a cheapie...I paid $25 for one that wouldn't run on the battery....no biggie.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Joyo High Gain Distortion (shredmaster clone) is pretty awesome.

Behringer GDI-21 is an excellent Sansamp GT2 clone

Both are plenty reliable to gig with.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
The Danelectro v1's were noisy for me. Others may have had a different experience.

The Donner Blues Driver and Rat clone are very good. The Donner Flanger is great too.

MIM#1

Too unreliable to gig with? Most of these are on par with Electro Harmonix build quality. I've gigged with Joyo's/Mooers/Donners/Movalls/Biyangs on board.

Reactions: jcs

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Too unreliable to gig with? Most of these are on par with Electro Harmonix build quality. I've gigged with Joyo's/Mooers/Donners/Movalls/Biyangs on board.
Yeah I don't get the wanting unreliable ones. Plenty of bargains that work just fine.

Reactions: jcs

Trending Topics

Top Bottom