Cheap guitars are amazing

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hemlock, Jul 7, 2006.

1. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I played a used Ibanez AS50 yesterday at the local mom and pop. Played really well, sounded great. Love the neck. Excellent frets. $275 with a hardshell case. I think I'm gonna get it.

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The bar raised sometime- where suddenly a cheap guitar became something playable, rather than a piece of plywood bolted to a bowed neck with some vaguely functional fancy chrome electric thingys on it...

3. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I love them. As long as the fit and finish of the neck and body are good, I can mod everything else. Since I love doing the mods anyway, they're like 90% finished kit projects. I actually like it that the electronics are sub-par...this way I can put exactly what I want in the guitar without feling guilty about removing better quality parts.

Some are even to the point where little or nothing needs to be done to make them great players.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

This one may not be cheap, depending on your point of view....

Yesterday, I was trying out a new Mesa Stiletto Ace combo. One of the guitars I tried it with was one of those Guitar Center Les Paul Specials with humbuckers and the single cutaway. It was used, I think it was $599.

Anyway, absolutely smokin' guitar! What spank! It delivered. Very playable, great neck, setup was good. It felt like a guitar that I had been playing for years. And this was one model that I never would have given a second look to when it first came out....

5. wodka

wodka Member

Yeah, if you can get past the name cache, there are lots of great inexpensive instruments out there.

6. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Absolutely. For the kind of guitars I normally wouldn't play, I'd certianly grab a cheapo version "Just to have one." Like for instance, maybe a cheap 7 string. Put in some decent pickups, and with all the gain typically used with 7 strings, most likely quite serviceable.

7. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

My first guitar was a Memphis copy of an Explorer, with a sh*tty whammy bar. It sucked. It was horrible.

Fast forward ten years. I have had several import guitars, most of which have been excellent. Not only has the overall quality improved tremendously, but the consistency of that quality is second to none.

8. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

I like used Made in USA guitars from eBay for under $100.

9. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The new PRS low end guitars are excellent.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

About 8 years ago I acquired a Chinese tele. I immediately started modding it, changing various parts a few at a time.

There is now NOTHING left of the original. Not even the pickguard screws. Body, neck, all of it changed.

It may sound crazy but I had a lot of fun along the way and now have a great parts tele that has become my main guitar.

As someone said earlier, the inexpensive guitars today are nothing like they once were. I started in 1967 and believe me, the guitars were such crap then that you really had to want to play to stick with it.