Cheap guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mannish, Feb 17, 2012.

1. mannish

mannish Member

Watching Nick Curran on TV playing those SX guitars from Rondo it makes me have these thoughts. Most of us that can play, can get it done on an SX or a Collings 290 or ES-330 really doesn't matter if it will 1/2 way stay in tune we can make it work. I guess I bring it up cause I been doing my own in nito paint, certain necks..etc a lot of work but in reality I could grab a 125.00 SX toss in some lollar P90s and get on with it.

pretty much any player that can play could gig with a subpar guitar that stays in tune and sound fantastic

I guess it's just depressing wasting my time building my won when I could have bought an SX and tweaked it

I do think acoustics a different though.

2. pbmw

pbmw Member

Yea...
    Thing is though, we're a fickle lot.
    I like nice guitars just like the next guy and have some. But I also have some cheaper guitars that work really well too.
    Meh...

3. bek

bek Member

I don't know much, but the more I figure out, the more I agree with you. If it plays in tune and you can make it stay in tune (usually the nut), you tweak the electronics and call it good. How many threads are there with upgrading an expensive (to me) LP or something? It's the obsessive pursuit of uniqueness and perfection, often for bragging rights. I might prefer this or that, but my most-used guitar is my cheapest (with much-upgraded electronics). If you're playing at home, for yourself, do what you can afford to make it sound the way you want it to. But much of that big, rich sound is lost if you're playing in a band, and you switch things to be heard.

4. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

"Getting it done" cheaply works for some.
    You can get to work in an '82 olds, but I would rather get there in a 'vette.

5. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

aesthetics, ability to buy, name on the headstock, want -vs- need etc aside I've found that whether it cost $250 or $2500 I still sound like me, so for my purposes, if it'll stay in tune and sounds good that's all that really matters...

6. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Hey now! Careful! I'm really concerned with all of the "cheap guitars are good" threads popping up here at TGP lately. There are lots of guitar forums that cater to cheap guitar lovers. Where are the cork sniffers and REAL guitar players going to hang out if TGP gets overrun by people thinking that you don't need to spend $5,000 on a guitar to sound good?

7. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

8. mannish

mannish Member

It was more a compliment to the guys that can play guitar instead of being played by a guitar :) So not about cheap being good but about good being good regardless of what you are playing within reason

I think it is lot a lot of things it's the NAME. You could fool a lot of people with cheaper products with the higher priced name.

Depressing

9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

^^^ You didn't see my tongue sticking out of my cheek there? I agree with you, and was sort of poking fun at the cork-sniffer crowd. I have a bunch of cheap guitars and probably play them more than my Gibsons.

10. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

You can replace any hardware that gives you problems, but for me, its just a lot harder to find a comfortable neck.

11. Wake911

Wake911 Member

Agreed, I buy guitars by the neck comfort. I don't care how awesome a guitar is, sounds, if i don't like the feel of the neck, it is a waste of money, be it $200 or $2,000.

Obviously neck isn't everything, but it is the first gatekeeper. I don't have to hear a guitar until after I like the neck....then it's a matter of "Can i change things out to make this what I want??

12. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

That sound you hear is lots of kickers twisting.

:mob

13. SAVOIE

SAVOIE Member

I partially agree with that. I don't know about a 125$ guitar, but I get great tones out of a 600$ investment. I do have other guitars I've paid just south of 2 grand for but usually I get a guitar that isn't too pretty and tamper with it. Yeah when I get the chance to record/play with a 4k Gretsch I love it, but not more than my guitars. We're all pretty picky about "our" tone (our tastes, our trademark etc) in this forum and maybe that's why I wouldn't get on with a 125$ guitar over a beat up american standard tele I can grab or 500$. Really though, 500$ is really cheap for a solid guitar - I can't even justify spending a lot on a guitar even though they're my most prized possessions; because I get great tone out of my gear, why would I spend 3k on a guitar when I've achieved it with much less? Maybe my tele isn't as pretty as a lot, but it feels good and sounds good. Ramble ramble. I guess I fit into the category of people that are more into gettin er done with an oldsmobile rather than a vette... But I'll hot rod my oldsmobile.

14. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

*cackle*

15. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Ive never owned pricey guitars, and I know playing them in a guitar centrer is not the same as playing them at home, on stage, or in the studio...but as far as playability, I can get the same comfort/ease of play from a "cheapy" guitar...

And surprisingly of all the $400-$600 guitars Ive bought...I only had ONE bad componant (jack crapped out)...

I replaced the pups on a few, left a few others stock for now...and dont feel like I am lacking or missing out on anything...

There are pricey guitars I want, but because I cant really find reasonably priced sopies (rickenbackers, gretsch white falcon)that look the same

16. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I have two PRS Ones. I normally play Nocasters, but those PRSs hold their own and sound great with no real set up required. I bought them for about $300 each.

17. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I bought my MIA tele for 80 bucks off some kid in my high school. That's my cheap guitar.

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Cheap guitar these days does not instantly equate to subpar or crappy. In fact, I'm playing some low end stuff these days which is the equal of far pricier gear in terms of build quality, playability.

We are so lucky to have choices like this. I more often than not am playing my cheaper guitars these days. Not because I'm worried about losing vintage gear of anything like that. They're just great instruments. Proud to own them and gig them. And FYI, cheap to me in this context is 300 to 700 bucks used.

MD

19. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Just bought a Guitar Center Special Run Strat and its a great guitar... under $600 and it outperforms a lot of high dollar stuff I owned.. I have a Electra Workingman that I inherited from my Dad... really a good little guitar.. My other two probably don't qualify..82' Fullerton Tele Reissue that I gave $600 for years ago.. an 83' Hamer Sunburst.. gone are LP, PRSi, other Hamers and a lot of other high end stuff.. all the result of a big selldown... Just sold a a Electra Omega which was awesome...