Cheap Hollowbody and Question on the Gretsch 5120

FuzzOff

I'm in the market for a nice cheap hollowbody and tried out the 5120. Nice player and decent sounding, BUT the neck was made of three pieces. Is this common practice on the cheaper hollowbodies?

Lawn Jockey

Laminated 3 piece necks are not a bad thing. Not only does it provide strength, it also makes the neck super stable (twist, etc).

Gibson used 3 piece necks back in the Norlin era...there are a lot of those still out there with zero problems.

It wouldn't scare me....and it certainly doesn't equate to "cheaper" IMHO. Hell, Rickenbackers are 3 piece necks...

CitizenCain

+1 to what weleetka said. I've got a '78 Les Paul with a 3-pc maple neck and the thing is like a rock! It never moves.

scottlr

My Setzer Signature model also has a 3 piece neck. Standard practice on a lot of guitars. Nothing to be concerned with at all.

Frankee

Wartime Consigliere
3-piece job on my Ricks, don't see where this equates to lesser quality. Even the Korean/Chinese Gretsch's quality exceeds that of some Big Name American outfits, if you really want it, pull the trigger.

Lawn Jockey

Nothing wrong with the 3-piece, an' ain't NOTHING wrong with that 5120!Grab it, son!!
My only comment (other than the one above) on the G5120..is make sure you LOVE the pickups. For another $150.00 or less you can have the G512x (G5124-G5129) series which will give you the DeArmond 2000 single coils which everyone likes. It still sounds like a Gretsch. Most people who get the G5120 upgrade the P/U's. If you're planning on gutting the P/U's anyway..grab it.

FuzzOff

Laminated 3 piece necks are not a bad thing. Not only does it provide strength, it also makes the neck super stable (twist, etc).

Gibson used 3 piece necks back in the Norlin era...there are a lot of those still out there with zero problems.

It wouldn't scare me....and it certainly doesn't equate to "cheaper" IMHO. Hell, Rickenbackers are 3 piece necks...
Yeah I actually have a 74 LP with that neck. It's solid, but the Gretsch are different. It's three separate segments, vs a "horizontal" laminate that runs the entire length of the neck. Probably doesn't make much difference. I'll just buy with my ears!

CitizenCain

With the G512x lineup, you get the cool Bigsby rocking bridge, too. Personally, I'd go for one of these over the 5120.

Lawn Jockey

With the G512x lineup, you get the cool Bigsby rocking bridge, too. Personally, I'd go for one of these over the 5120.
..all that...plus the G512x series has a one piece neck:

If you're seriously considering either of these...look up Joel at Shanghai Music in Ponca City, OK. He'll be hard to beat price and service wise. His set-ups on the Gretschs with Bigsbys and floating bridges are sublime.

Good luck either way!

Trending Topics