• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cheap Humbucking Tele that sounds like a Tele?

Rena Rune

I was wondering if there were any budget models(like $300 or so) that fit this description? Basically a HH guitar that sounds somewhere between a humbucking guitar and a twangy Tele.

AFAIK this was the point of the Wide Range pickups originally? Or I could be wrong. I basically want something that's 50% Tele and 50% Metal guitar. Coil Splits are great, but I more want one sound that's in between rather than 2 less interesting ones.

HyakuShiki

I was wondering if there were any budget models(like $300 or so) that fit this description? Basically a HH guitar that sounds somewhere between a humbucking guitar and a twangy Tele.

AFAIK this was the point of the Wide Range pickups originally? Or I could be wrong. I basically want something that's 50% Tele and 50% Metal guitar. Coil Splits are great, but I more want one sound that's in between rather than 2 less interesting ones.
I dunno, this'll be a hard thing to do. The Tele is, while very versatile, not much of a metal machine. If I'm correct, the single coils will not react well with a metal level of gain. You can do a HH Tele with EMGs like the Jim Root model, but I don't think you'll find much that puts you halfway between traditional Tele twang and metal tones.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I'd probably start by wiring the humbuckers in parallel rather than in series. It'll cut the output a little, but give a more single coil like tone. Find a solid bridge guitar with a Fender neck scale to start.

Having said that, since you haven't bought the guitar yet, it would probably work better to go the other way - get a cheap Tele clone and put some Bill Lawrence rail pickups in it.

Rena Rune

I actually find that Teles have a decent enough tone for metal if they're wired hotter - the "Honky" sound of the bridge is more in line with a humbucker than the plinky sound of a Strat or your average offset(my Jag has a TOM and hotter wound pickups that are actually pretty decent for metal, but not amazing).

A lot of people want to replace their Tele pickups with humbucking ones but still want to keep some Tele tones. I notice on Guitarfetish for example there are some pickups advertised as doing that.

As I said I'm looking for a more humbuckery sound, just with a nod to the Tele sort of sound. I already have a Tele copy that does a decent full on Tele sound. Twangy humbuckers I guess?

Rena Rune

This would be really neat, but not sure how rare they are or how much they cost; Tiesco Thinline Tele copy:

Rena Rune

^ If I could get a cheap copy of this guitar, it would be amazing. That look and sound are ideal for me. It's got jazzy fullness but still some of that Tele twang. Any suggestions?

jcarpenter

Gold Supporting Member
I think John5 has a squire version of his tele. He has some cool high gain tones. Also I would try to get a different bridge. That metal bridge is where the country twang really kicks in I think that clashes with the high gain metal tone unless you are looking for that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-j5-telecaster-electric-guitar?src=3WWRWXGP

I would go with a bridge like this. Just remove the pickgaurd and install pickup rings. Maybe some minimal routing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/haywirecustomguitars/7164653727/

twoheadedboy

The Tele is, while very versatile, not much of a metal machine. If I'm correct, the single coils will not react well with a metal level of gain.
Depends on what kind of metal sounds you're after. If you want EMG+Recto chugging, a tele is probably not ideal. However, a good tele can do some great heavy sounds.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I know that there are a couple of new Squiers that just came out. One has 2 wide range clones, the other a wide range in the neck w/ a single coil in the bridge. I've read some good things about them over at the TDPRI forum. Within your price range as well. I'm sure there's info on the Squier website.

Rena Rune

I know that there are a couple of new Squiers that just came out. One has 2 wide range clones, the other a wide range in the neck w/ a single coil in the bridge. I've read some good things about them over at the TDPRI forum. Within your price range as well. I'm sure there's info on the Squier website.
Those look neat, shame there's not a great range of colours though. I'd maybe get the White/black one.

Are those pickups, or any decent WR-ish pickups available seperate for under $50? I hear the Guitarfetish ones aren't great.

Rena Rune

I'm looking for something more along the way of Wide Range pickups! Either a cheap guitar with them, or some to put inside my existing HH guitar.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe will likely be the only thing in the price range. Otherwise, parts Tele.

MLC

I've got a Squier J5 Tele (the one jcarpenter linked above) and it'll get plenty twangy if you back the volume off the bridge pickup and apply a little chicken pickin' technique.

FWIW, I REALLY like my J5. Don't be fooled by the lower price - it's definitely a gig-worthy instrument. John 5 knows his Tele's.

dazco

I have a MIM '72 thinline RI, and while people keep saying the reissue WRHB's are just regular HB's inside a WRHB cover, i disagree big time. They IMO do exactly what you are asking. they have the dynamics and brightness of a SC but also are full bodied like a HB. It's why i like this guitar a lot. In fact, when i first got it i wasn't digging the pups so much because they tend to get lost in a mix, or they did at the time. (more later) So i had a pickguard made with a regular HB bridge slot and SC at the neck. The guitar was just kinda boring sounding like that. And i tried 3 different humbuckers in it and none of them sounded remotely like the WRHB's. Those WRHB's regardless of what anyone says do NOT sound like regular HB's. The main reason is the dynamics. They are nothing like most humbuckers and are very SC like. They DO have thier issues, much of which can be fixed with a 500k pot and polepiece/pickup height tweaking. But they DO have one weakness i can't fully fix....they wound strings and plain strings are tonally out of balance. The wound strings sre sorta muddy while the plain bright. But not to the point i wouldn't rather use them in this guitar than anything else. I might have telenator.co mod them for me at $85 each, but i haven't decided yet. He says they sound much clearer after than. But whether you use them stock and just tweak like i did, have them modded, or go with one of the aftermarket ones, (expensive tho) you WILL get that SC meets HB thing you describe IMO. It's a beautiful thing having HB fullness with the dynamics of a SC. It's what a pickup should be to me because they are each type of pickup's strongest most important trait combined into one pickup.

ToneGrail

I have an 80's Fender Japan Contemporary Telecaster with a Floyd Rose Trem. It has an h-s-s pickup configuration with the bridge humbucker splittable. Does exactly what you're looking for. You can find them on eBay from time to time. Mine's not for sale.

D.G.

I dunno, this'll be a hard thing to do. The Tele is, while very versatile, not much of a metal machine. If I'm correct, the single coils will not react well with a metal level of gain.
The best metal tone I ever got was using an Am Deluxe Strat with SCN noiseless pups into a Peavey 6505->Mesa Rectifer 2-12 cab. AND I used the neck pickup exclusively :) Beat the crap out of the other player's PRS rear humbucker :D I've also had similar success using an Am Deluxe Tele (again SCN pups.)

Trending Topics