Cheap Humbucking Thrills?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by package, Apr 28, 2008.

1. package

package Silver Supporting Member

I mean really cheap--like $400 to $500. I've purged all my 'bucking guitars following a bout of broke-ass-itis. Still not in a position to buy back stuff of the same quality as the stuff I sold.

I don't really care if your recommendations cop "British Humbucking-Equipped Stars of the '70s" tones, as I seem to ruin any such attempt with my own wacky style, anyway.

I lean a little more toward the bright side, play primarily through a Hayseed 30 and am really more of a tele player anyway. Not twangy tele--filthy, gritty, reedy tele. But I dig a good 'bucker now and again.

So, cheap thrills or should I just stuff the piggy bank until I can afford greatness?

2. Woozy

Woozy Member

It's tough to answer this question because if you got rid of the humbucker guitars first,
    then either you don't dig 'em, or you haven't found the right one.

Maybe you'd be happy spending less and mounting a TV Jones filtertron for a Tele.
    I love low-output humbuckers, and TV Jones seems... while different than a HB, perhaps a more balanced, jangly HB.

Or, you could buy a Burny, Tokai, Greco LP-clone off of (fl)e(a)bay.
    They're not mythical, but solid, quality Les Paul clones.
    While creeping up in price, there are still deals to be had around $500.
    My best-playing, picked-up-daily guitar has my least-favorite pickups and finish.
    A Burny 80's LP-clone.
    It must be magnetically attracted to my hands.

Good luck in the search...

3. sarge40

sarge40 Member

I like the MIJ LP clones at that pricepoint. I got a great playing Greco LP Custom type for five bills even a year ago and its a fine sounding and playing instrument. I don't feel bad beating it up either since I didn't dump a ton of money into it. Burnys can also be found around that price. In general, Tokais tend to be a bit more expensive. Aria Pro IIs can be found in that range all day. These aren't Gibson killers (although I do have a Tokai that gives my Gibbys a run for the money), but at the prices that they can be had, they are awesome deals.

4. lp johnny

lp johnny Member

try the esp ltd stuff..emg's or duncans very playable...and a good deal used..or new

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I plyed a Dean Hardtail the other day. It was $250.00 used, they go for uround 500 new?. It was a REALLY nice guitar. Abolone inlays, nickel hardware, Duncan Designed pickups which sounded decent and a beautiful flame top. I had a hard time not buying but if I needed a 2x humbucker guitar. For a Korean guitar the fir and finish was better than almost any epiphone I have ever seen.

6. bynt

bynt Member

I'd also look at Michael Kelly guitars. Those things are crazy nice for the money if you don't mind foriegn stuff. I've been really impressed with them.