Cheap Leslie Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jim lavender, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

What's the most cost effective pedal for getting a decent Leslie sound? I won't be using this effect that often so I really don't want to spend that much. Thanks,

2. erksin

erksin Member

3. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Option 5 Destination Single. They pop up used in the Emporium for around
    $220 or so.

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

boss ce5 at around 50 used or the arion sch-z for even less. . . (the sch-1s go for over a hundred! these days)

edit: if you have a dd20, you already have my favorite bang-for-buck source for this sound. . .

5. erksin

erksin Member

6. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

The Moen Shaky Jimi - it's dirt cheap ($80 AU); has a metal case and is true bypass. It has 2 modes "Vibe" - which is a classic Univibe sound and "Chorus" which doesn't sound like a modern chorus pedal in anyway but it produces an unbelievably good Leslie sound. 2 knobs - speed and rate. It doesn't emulate Leslie horn overdrive and all those detailed particulars but the warble is very authentic to my ears. Moen doesn't list these in their catalogue anymore though so snatch them up on eBay while you can. I often use the chorus sound in the Shaky Jimi in conjunction with an analogue delay to emulate the sound of an Echoplex and it sounds damn real!!!

Danelectro made a rotary speaker pedal - I think it's the Rocky Road - they're cheap, however I haven't heard it; but I've usually been impressed with most of Danelectro's pedals, at least in terms of sound.

8. Steven

Steven Member

The Rocky Road is actually quite good. It has a annoying boost to it but that can easily be taken out with a simple mod involving soldering a short wire between two points on the PCB. There is a description somewere on the user rewiewes on Harmony Central. IMO the Rocky Road is more of a Fender Vibratone (think RSV Cold Shot) than a Laslie.

9. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep my eye out for the Arion.

10. woof*

woof* Member

vintage small clone, not the reissue. still can be found cheap and do a pretty good job. i always get asked what im using when playing out.