Cheap, Low-wattage head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Last Rebel, Feb 20, 2008.

1. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I'm looking for a cheap, sub-850, head. I'm planning on buying a StoneAge cab, which will be around 800 and I want to spend less on the head. I play mostly LP-> Plexi style stuff.

2. Roodboy

Roodboy Member

Marshall 50 watt 1987 or jtm 45 reissues

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Ceriatone Marshall 36 watt EF86 head. 36 watts, switchable to 18 watts. Ef86 channel inspired from a vox/matchless preamp. Classic Marshal tone with el84's so it breaks up at a more reasonable volume.

or

Ceriatone JTM-45 Head. A bit more headroom with kt-66's. Early AC/DC tones.

or

An Avatar Vintage 4x12" cab to save a bit more cash ($500) with a Black Pearl Head or something a higher range?

dk

4. pgissi

pgissi Member

A few months ago I picked up the deal of the year for my son to save the tubes in my Rivera, the kid played my rig to death.

We scored an Epiphone SoCal 50watt half stack for a mere 620 with shipping. It was new in a box, both cab and head and simply rocks. I still cant believe how good it sounds and I recently read Mike Soldano colaborated on the design with Pytor Bilov.

They built a fine amp for an unhead of tone and Gibson put its stamp on it, its the sleeper deal of the year. Its a 2x el34 @ 50 watt affair and with a contour control as part of the EQ, you can dial in anything from scooped metal to classic rock plexi grind on the overdrive channel. IMO it is far more versatile than a marshall with this contour control and has an old school thick full bodied tube tone.

Paul from Guitar World has a demo on youtube, it showcases the amps versatility and tone and for the money, nothing touches it.

Its clean channel is limited since it shares the EQ but still sounds good and we put the amp through its paces in these last few weeks with a good selection of guitars. I own 2 les pauls, 1 srv strat, an older rg450 ibanez, a floyd rose dsot and my son plays a modded mexican fat strat, and an epiphone sg and each guitars tone came through which for me is the true test of good design. Its not a one trick pony which is unheard of for marshall derived designs.

The amp has mucho gain if wanted and unlike some amps, backing off the gain does not thin the tone

Brand new the head is 500 bucks and IMO is the deal of the year, no bs and the best part is its designed to be abused and you dont have to worry about it, kick it hard and it wont cry about it.

At 50watts, its plenty loud, no worries there

5. Raymund

Raymund Member

or

Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB

6. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

Frenzel Super Deluxe plus 25 watt version is loud and hand made