Cheap Metal pedal?

Mike Thomas

Hey I'm a singer/songwriter frontman for a new Alt Rock/Indie Rock project. The drummer that I just started playing with hits like a tank. I've been able to get by using an Xotic SL drive with the internal trim set to the max gain setting for most of the distorted songs we are playing.

However with my new heavy hitting drummer expressing that he'd like to start adding a few more heavier songs into the mix, I need some ideas please.

I recently dusted off some older crunchy,stoner rock,sludgy drop D tuning songs of mine. Believe it or not the XL drive still does ok,but I think I would get a much better tone for these songs If I were to go with something distortion based instead of overdrive. The plexi sound of the XL is nice but I;m thinking more like a mesa rectifier tone.

That being said, since its not my #1 priority sound and will probably be used for just a couple of songs in our set I was thinking of just going cheap by grabbing one of those cheap true bypass made in China pedals like the Joyo Xtreme metal,Joyo high gain,or Joyo pocket metal? Or something else along those lines. It doesn't have to be joyo. I have heard ok things about the EH pocket metal muff?

Any opinions when it comes to high gain pedals on the cheap with a true bypass switch for around $40 to $60?

I recently sold something for that much on Ebay so I was trying to get into something for Zero out of pocket. I know I could spend a few hundred to get something really nice like the Wampler triple threat or even the Xact atomic overdrive is cool and probably would have more definition. But, I have plenty of Od's that already do that I just want something cheap and kind of close to a duel and triple rec sound in a cheap pedal that doesn't sound too buzzy like the old Metal Zone I remember having when I was like 12.

King Rat

if you can get the mxr fullbore metal for that price second hand that may be your ticket.

a cheap rat would do it.

I'm a big fan of the Boss Mega Distortion for the indie/alt distortion sound.. Bloc Party use it heaps.

King Rat

Perhaps an MXR DST+ boosting into the SL drive would be pretty rad. Knobs dimed.

hectos.

jazzfromhell

EDIT: Actually, forget Joyo and get a Hardwire SC-2 instead. About the same price used and a million times better. Great drive sounds, killer EQ, built like a tank.
You can thank me later :)

Last edited:

NewDr.P

The sl drive has s ton of gain, and most metal doesn't actually use as much gain as you'd think. I suspect the problem isn't the gain.

Are you using decent output humbuckers? What amp are you using?

Try using the highest gain setting then scoop the mids with your amp settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldBlack

If you can find one in your price range - or at all - Zoom Tri Metal. Huge EQ range, can make anything sound heavy without adding lots of gain (or noise). Thurston Moore was using one with CLM, wouldn't be surprised if it's providing some of the deeper sounds The Best Day as well. (If someone from Mooer, et al is reading this - clone the Zoom TM-01. Please.)

thecornman

Biyang Baby Boom Max Distortion! Supposed to be a Rat clone I believe. It can cover a lot of ground from heavier to lighter sounds. I won mine on ebay for 23 new from china. Sounds a lot better then I thought it would and the Biyang Baby Boom series are quite well built.

k tone

EDIT: Actually, forget Joyo and get a Hardwire SC-2 instead. About the same price used and a million times better. Great drive sounds, killer EQ, built like a tank.
You can thank me later :)
I endorse this post. The SC-2 is my favorite.

I also like a little Boss HM-2 in certain applications.

IRG

I have a Digitech/Hardwire TL-2 brand new I'm selling for $50. Just got it at a blowout price, pretty cool pedal, but in the end I'm more of a fuzz fan. The TL-2 does have two distinct voices to it, 'Tight' which is a heavy, scooped metal sound, and "Loose" which is heavier, but more old school metal/hard rock.

The EQ on this pedal is really good, the range of tones goes from a heavier rock sound to all out metal. Two knobs control the mid section which really helps you go from scooped sound to mid-heavy. Plus it's built like a tank.

Don't mean to be spammy, but if you want it, pm me.

Grainslayer

I watched a few YouTube demos on both the metal muff and pocket muff.sounded pretty good to me..always seems to be some listed on Craigslist for cheap.

Trending Topics