Cheap modeler to use as a midi controller?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by speedyone, Feb 27, 2015.

1. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Hi all,

I've got my Amplifire coming in Monday, and I need a cheap midi controller for it.

It occurred to me that I could probably just find a cheap, older fx unit with a built in expression pedal and midi capabilities.

Are there any out there that you guys can recommend? I thought of the GT series...and the Pods....but anything out there used for around $100?

?

thanks for any input!

2. speedyone

What I REALLY want is just a midi pedal with at least five buttons to press; one for each preset I use, that's it!

But all I'm finding that fits that requirement is the GINORMOUS fcb1010, and Rocktron MidiMate, which is also kind of big....

3. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I'm thinking the Tech 21 midi moose may work, but it's $179. I'm going to take a good long while making this decision.

4. speedyone

Yeah....there are a number of BIG midi switchers, but the Amplifire is small, y'know? It seems ridiculous to get a huge midi switcher for me...that's why I have started to consider just getting a multifx unit with an expression pedal, since I like to have lots of fx, and the Amplifire as of now won't let you stack them.

The Midimoose is long and narrow, which looks like something I would be ok with...

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

6. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

I used an old tonelab se exactly this way for years. Worked great and was built like a tank.

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

8. speedyone

Thanks, I have!

I am considering this one. In fact, I may pull the trigger on a used one I saw in the emporium....

9. slybird

slybird Member

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Used HD 500 is pretty big, but would give you some FX that might come in handy, as the Amplifire is, I hear, a little more limited in the FX area.

11. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

A Line6 X3 Live has good MIDI Capabilities too.

12. GuitaRasmus

GuitaRasmus Member

After having tried a few preamp pedals through my Torpedo Cab, and loving it, I've experimented with using my old Pod Hd500x as an effects unit/switcher/looper. It just sucks the punchiness and great tone out of the preamps. After having tried to make my Pod HD work as a great tone machine during the last 1½ years (including using it with Torpedo cab), I've come to the conclusion that the converters are simply just bad. Even just using it straight through, without any effects, there is a noticable degradation of the signal - it seems compressed and certain frequencies dissappear, and adds a metallic treble. There is nothing wrong with my particular unit, others I've tried does the same. It's just not good enough. I would strongly advice against running a good signal through it.

As a midi controller however, it works very nicely.

13. Rockfiddler

Rockfiddler Member

I use my HD500 as a MIDI controller for my Whammy 5, Source Programmable EQ, and M5. I also use the onboard effects, and it sounds good to me, so YMMV.