• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cheap Neck vs Expensive Neck?

NoahL

Let's say you removed all the variables: same nut, same tuners, same finish. Two maple necks, both old enough not to warp from greenness. Basically two identically cut pieces of maple, but one is from a 2010 US Tele and the other from a 2010 Squier. What's gonna be the difference? Harder maple on the US? Better (i.e. harder and more polishable) frets? Basically, why spend several hundred on the US rather than $100 on the Squier?

murkat

I like sea otters
Supporting Member
fret wire.
Labor costs.
Up to you where you spend your money.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
The biggest difference is in labor costs, both in the rates of pay, and in the time spent on building a neck. You are more likely to see a better finished neck with more attention to detail on a $1,500 MIA strat than on a $200 Squier.

NoahL

I appreciate that. But my question has to do with used necks, because I need a replacement. Apart from harder fretwire (which is important), what's the difference between a used US Tele neck and a used MIM or Squier? What am I getting with a $300 US vs a $100 Indonesian? More resonant maple? A sturdier truss rod nut?

damian1

Nothing but what was mentioned. Higher labor costs, better attention to detail (maybe), and or different dots/skunk stripe/truss rod plug. More importantly though is that many of the import necks have a smaller nut.

NoahL

So far I haven't read anything that would dissuade me from getting a used MIM/MIA neck. I'll cut a new nut regardless, and if maple is maple and the neck's not twisted and the truss rod works, it's not worth the extra $200 for a different logo or the supposed advantage of nitro tint or whatever.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Bought an older MIK Squier strat, just for the neck for a parts build. Neck had a flatter radius and bigger frets and no gloss so it had some more modern features. Never bothered to change out the hated cheesy trapezoid cover tuners and they actually have been fine.

The guitar I bolted together out of a well worn body and that MIK Squier neck , the F*!ker Scrapocaster turned out wonderfully.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
So far I haven't read anything that would dissuade me from getting a used MIM/MIA neck. I'll cut a new nut regardless, and if maple is maple and the neck's not twisted and the truss rod works, it's not worth the extra $200 for a different logo or the supposed advantage of nitro tint or whatever.
(Fretwork aside.)
Buy both and try them both and resell whichever you deem to be inferior.
Post your results.:aok

damian1

Smaller in what way? Thinner?
The neck at the nut is more narrow than some necks. Some people feel it's crowded.

Bought an older MIK Squier strat, just for the neck for a parts build. Neck had a flatter radius and bigger frets and no gloss so it had some more modern features. Never bothered to change out the hated cheesy trapezoid cover tuners and they actually have been fine.

The guitar I bolted together out of a well worn body and that MIK Squier neck , the F*!ker Scrapocaster turned out wonderfully.
I have an Old E9 Korean squier from early 90's. It was my first guitar. The neck is so good. The whole guitar really. Has a usa bent steel saddle bridge so far as I can tell. Plywood body but the thing sounds killer.

swiveltung

I think you will often find no difference whatsoever... given that you said identical pieces of maple The main difference I see between the two is the wood... some Squier necks are just as good a wood as Fender ones. But some aren't... discolorations etc.

One difference is the spec. (radius, width, fet size etc) can often be different as mentioned above. Some Squiers may be preferable actually depending on what you want.

SamBooka

What about the truss rod? Just curious.
Thanks op for posting.. I am on the fence. need a jazzmaster neck and stuck between classic player and j mascis for the specs I want.

Fretwork!!! Mostly fretwork and possibly lame rosewood that is colored , but mostly the materials would be the same. You will find the cheaper one to have rough less finished fret ends and possibly not as accurately leveled. The crazy thing now days is I've seen $100-200 guitars with surprisingly decent fretwork compared to even some American strats. Lol I sometimes go to guitar center when sales are slow or in having a rough week and it always makes me feel better about my work (chills out my own worst critique:) damn surprised at the quality of some of this entry level guitars though. Personally I think it all boils down to takes pride in their work. Mexican and Korean fenders are some of the better crafted ones but you never know who was having a bad day or who's boss is out of touch. That's what makes people want to play a bunch of guitars before they pick one and makes it harder for small builders who really take the most pride in their work.

Trending Topics