Cheap new toys

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by evildik, Feb 4, 2012.

1. evildik

evildik Member

Just picked up a Mustang III for $120 off of CL. Just walking through the pre-sets, I have been able to find some realy nice clean & semi clean tones, especially with the Bassman model.

Later, I'll see how it pairs up with the XT Live I snagged about a month back for $100. I love when new technology drives the prices down of last week's flavor (which still taste pretty good).

2. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Does it have any nice tweed tones?

3. evildik

evildik Member

I literally just stepped through the 100 presets once, while stopping briefly on a few that stood out. I'll pay more attention when I go back to it & let you know.

4. evildik

evildik Member

OK, so far not that impressed with the tweed tones. The one that really sounds good to me other than the bassman is the 65 Twin. Here's a quick sample of the bassman with the gain up in fuzzy, but still clear terrirory. The usual crappy playing disclaimers apply.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/raspainhour/mustang-iii-tone-test[/SOUNDCLOUD]

5. larry1096

larry1096 Member

I didn't find a lot of Mustang tones I loved until I started tweaking it with Fuse. Of all the modelers I've used, the Mustang is the one that benefits (needs?) the computer editor the most, IMHO.

Larry

6. evildik

evildik Member

I can see that. Most of the presets were iffy, but that's par for the course for modellers. Haven't had a chance to mess with the Fuse software yet, but I can see it has potential, especially for what I paid.

7. evildik

evildik Member

Oh, and the XT Live gives me the impression it's going to play well with the Mustang going through the fx return (also with some time spent tweaking).

8. evildik

evildik Member

The more I mess with this little thing, the more impressed I am. Here's a direct USB recording I threw together tonight. Yeah, I know the playing is questionable, but that's not what it's really about.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/raspainhour/song-3[/SOUNDCLOUD]