Cheap noise gate pedal, or distortion with noise gate?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rena Rune, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Basically I use a Jag so that tends to get noisy pretty easy, even though it's less noisy than some SC guitars I've tried. My humbucking guitar actually isn't much less noisy, it's unavoidable that high gain sounds will be noisy, really. Almost surprising more amps don't come with a noise gate built in.

I was considering getting a noise gate for this reason. But; I'd also like the noise gate to be some kind of boost as well, to help me get more dirty sounds from an amp, rather than having to run the both of them. It kind of seems like a logical thing to me. So I want one with a volume knob with a fair amount of boost on tap.

It'd also be neat to get some kind of Distortion with a footswitchable noise gate(like the box of metal, but cheaper). I have a Barber Dirty Bomb at the moment and while it's a great pedal, it might be cool to try something else.

2. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

3. louiscyfer

louiscyfer Member

cheap noise gates don't work that well. isp g string decimator.

4. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I don't care if they're realistic or not, I Just want something simple to cut down on noise. If it does a harsh, glitchy sound then all the better as that's a lot of fun.

The Son of Hyde is pretty high on my list right now. Shame the noise gate wasn't separately switchable, but it's a pretty good sounding pedal so I'd probably stick with it as my main distortion.

5. Road King

Road King Supporting Member

I just started running an ISP Decimator (not the Gstring) with pretty satisfactory results. I set it just below the point where it gates out too much sustain and it quiets the rig well enough. Not totally silent but definitely a marked improvement.

6. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

is ur noise comimg from an od pedal or ur amp? If its a pedal, very small
    changes can be made to reduce ur amount of noise without investing in a gate that can sometimes do more hurt to ur tone than good. Heres some advice, if u have a single low end cable, a daisy chain power supply, (like a one-spot), or are using any kind of two prong power source, such as a wall wart or power strip, its most likely the reasoning for your noise. Eliminating these with isolated power supplys (ie furmans, voodoo labs pp2, etc), high end cabling (ie Lava), and usingproperly grounded power, you may see urself w/no more noise, or atleast a greatly decreased amount.