Cheap octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lund, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Lund

Lund Member

Hey !

Whats the difference between the danelectro french toast octave and the chili dog... i have a fuzz allready... i just need a nice octavia.

Think Hendrix and that stuff.... ive seen the french toast mentioned before, but im unsure if is has a built in fuzz (switchable?), or the chili dog is better.

Are there any other good choices? we are talking cheap and preferably small footprint.

Michael

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

3. Lund

Lund Member

danelectro is cheap, and lets say... not more than 100 $.

Michael

4. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Occasionally Musicans friend has an Arion on clearance for $14 or $24. Never tried it though.

5. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Try the Dice Works Astronimus - you can find it on ebay: an inexpensive and very good, if a little Scrambler-esque, Octavia clone. The builder can make an mxr sized version if requested (AC powered only)...

One of the Danelectros mentioned is a clone of the Foxx Tone Machine, I just can't remember which one...

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I believe the French Toast is the Foxx style octavia...

7. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Since you've already got a fuzz, you can add a General Guitar Gadgets Ring Dinger for $98 shipped. That's what I run. You can have fuzz, fuzz + octave, or clean with octave that way (and whatever other combinations you can dream up). I find it very usable and it can get a wider variety of sounds than most octavia-type pedals.

David

8. drolling

drolling Member

and the ChiliDog is one & two octaves below.. pretty cool little box - Tracks at least as well as a BOSS OC-2.

9. eric-d

eric-d Member

Dunlop Octave Fuzz.....

10. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

Used OC-2's go for 50$ or so...

11. marklyn

marklyn Member

The Chili Dog is octave up and down only -- no fuzz. The French Toast is octave and fuzz.
    I've got the Chili Dog and it's very adaquate for me for 1 or 2 songs a night at most. I just plug it in when I need it so it's not in line. It will crap out with chords or sloppy playing but it does the job quite nicely with clean lines that I fuzz up after the pedal. And for less than $20 it's hard to beat.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

I like my Boss OC-2...the tracking is funky but you can make allowances and compensate for that once you get used to it...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. Lund

Lund Member

Thanks.

So... if you take something like a roger mayer octavia, its fuzz and octavia? or is it just the octave effect?

French toast seems to be both...

Perhaps i should just save up for a octavia (roger mayer), i guess i was hoping that the fremch toast or chili dog was similar... or something else that was cheap.

I definately need a octave up.

Michael

14. walpow

walpow Guest

That leaves out the Arion. It's octave down and two octaves down.

15. muddy

muddy Member

ah, someone beat me to it! but yeah, j.d.'s "general guitar gadgets" peds are all EXCELLENT value for sounding SO damn good! for a really tricked out octavia, you might wanna give his "octavo" a shot. it's one of the better ones I'VE heard!

ml