• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cheap pedal board

MikeNiteRail

I am thinking Pedaltrain Jr....anything out there that can hold 6ish pedals and is cheaper? The board won't get a lot of use.

PEImatrix

If I was getting a pedalboard for home use, I think I'd just to to Home Depot, and get a piece of MDF, some velcro, black paint and some feet. I'd also order up a 1Spot PS and daisey chain. With the money I saved I'd buy a some nice cables, or pay for some fretwork cause God knows 1 of my guitars probably needs it.

MikeNiteRail

Excuse my stupidity, but what's MDF? I think that sounds like a good plan. The Pedaltrain Jr might be a summer or fall pickup if I decide I am going to use enough pedals. Thanks.

TwinandTwang

SKB has a plasitc board with a nylon bag for around $100-throw away the wallwart that comes with it. It may not sound cheap but having the velcro board and nylon bag makes it real easy to carry a completely hooked up board to gigs.

jacobhf

Silver Supporting Member
rondo boards at rondomusic.com, stupid cheap hard cases that are quality, it's what I use.

stupid cheap

shawnshack

Wow, they are cheap! Gig worthy?
get the flight cases, they are great. I have a cheaper one from them, and a flight case. The cheap ones can get the job done, but the hinges bend and the binding isn't very sturdy. I've had the flight case for about 5 months and I love it. It is completely solid. No issues at all. I bought the big one (its a little smaller than a pedaltrain pro (about 30x16). It was about $90 shipped.

burningyen

The Rondo flight cases are not gig-worthy unless you're willing to spend some extra money, time and energy on buying and installing better carpet and foam padding to prevent your pedals from falling loose and screws and rubber feet to stop the board from sliding around. Given the money and hassle, if I had to do it all over again I would just get a NYC Pedalboard.

EricPeterson

rondo boards at rondomusic.com, stupid cheap hard cases that are quality, it's what I use.

stupid cheap
+1

The really cheap ones are fine for home use and the occasional gig, if you gig a lot get one of the flight cases.

shawnshack

The Rondo flight cases are not gig-worthy unless you're willing to spend some extra money, time and energy on buying and installing better carpet and foam padding to prevent your pedals from falling loose and screws and rubber feet to stop the board from sliding around. Given the money and hassle, if I had to do it all over again I would just get a NYC Pedalboard.
have you used the flight cases? I actually speak from the experience of owning both. I have a couple friends who own the flight cases as well, they are great cases. No problem with the carpet on any of them. The flight cases became part of their inventory back over the summer. Check those out before you continue bashing. :boxer

Adam Zaiger

Excuse my stupidity, but what's MDF? I think that sounds like a good plan. The Pedaltrain Jr might be a summer or fall pickup if I decide I am going to use enough pedals. Thanks.
If you go the Home Depot route, don't do MDF that you have to paint. Go to the shelving section and buy a piece of laminate shelving. They make it in black, oak and maple (I'd go with black). This way, no painting is required. for a small board this will be perfect...not so much for larger boards as the laminate is a bit more flexible than wood.

Then...go to the hardware section where you can buy a few handles (like you'd need for kitchen drawers) and in that same aisle you can pick up some rubber feet.

Throw in the velcro and you end up with a relatvely professional looking board for under $30!

burningyen

shawnshack,

I recently posted my review after buying the flight case (if you do a search you'll see that you posted in the same thread). I also own a NYC Pedalboard. The carpet Rondo uses in the flight case simply cannot hold a heavy pedal under normal use. It couldn't hold my very valuable Skreddy Cognitive Dissonance in place for 1 roundtrip in a cab, and it looks like the flopping around damaged it (it's hissing something fierce now). By contrast, the carpet NYC Pedalboards uses grips velcro like superglue. The ball-shaped corners on the Rondo case also made dents in my new wood floor and don't keep the board from sliding around.

MikeNiteRail

If you go the Home Depot route, don't do MDF that you have to paint. Go to the shelving section and buy a piece of laminate shelving. They make it in black, oak and maple (I'd go with black). This way, no painting is required. for a small board this will be perfect...not so much for larger boards as the laminate is a bit more flexible than wood.

Then...go to the hardware section where you can buy a few handles (like you'd need for kitchen drawers) and in that same aisle you can pick up some rubber feet.

Throw in the velcro and you end up with a relatvely professional looking board for under $30!
This is super tempting. I did some measuring and a Pedaltrain mini would be all that I'd need. A used one would be mint! It'd only be a bit more than making one...and I'd get the case too.

I am not very handy with things. I also really like the setup of the Pedaltrain. It looks easy to hide cables.

skullfunkerry

If you decide not to go for the making it yourself option, how about a Gator Pedal Tote? You can get them for £50 on the 'bay, not sure what the US price is like. Good sized board though, with velcro, and a bag to carry it in - plus if you want you can buy a powered version too!

MikeNiteRail

If you decide not to go for the making it yourself option, how about a Gator Pedal Tote? You can get them for £50 on the 'bay, not sure what the US price is like. Good sized board though, with velcro, and a bag to carry it in - plus if you want you can buy a powered version too!
Although not as cool as the Pedaltrain, that'd make a great template for a homemade board. I'll run by the hardware store today and see what I can come up with...I'll see what the cost difference is with a Mini.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
get the flight cases, they are great. I have a cheaper one from them, and a flight case. The cheap ones can get the job done, but the hinges bend and the binding isn't very sturdy. I've had the flight case for about 5 months and I love it. It is completely solid. No issues at all. I bought the big one (its a little smaller than a pedaltrain pro (about 30x16). It was about $90 shipped.
Shawn... I'm about to buy a Rondo Flight case. My question has to do with the sturdiness of the base/platform. I was about to buy a Coffin Case SK110 at Sam Ash the other day for $110, but the base gave way when I push on it with my hand... I can only imagine how long until this would bend permenantly under my right foot with 185lbs on top of it!?!?

Is the lid that you attached the pedals too firm and sturdy? I'm ready to order today.

etc

I just bought a nice flight case from ebay for $60 with free shipping. Should be here today.

Last edited:

shawnshack

shawnshack,

I recently posted my review after buying the flight case (if you do a search you'll see that you posted in the same thread). I also own a NYC Pedalboard. The carpet Rondo uses in the flight case simply cannot hold a heavy pedal under normal use. It couldn't hold my very valuable Skreddy Cognitive Dissonance in place for 1 roundtrip in a cab, and it looks like the flopping around damaged it (it's hissing something fierce now). By contrast, the carpet NYC Pedalboards uses grips velcro like superglue. The ball-shaped corners on the Rondo case also made dents in my new wood floor and don't keep the board from sliding around.
I would call them about a new case. Both my friends, and myself have had no problem. With that being said, I built a removable pedal board (similar to a pedal train (only made of wood), so I could more easily route cables and clean things up. But I used the carpet at first with no issues. Both friends have been using theirs. All three of the ones I've been around have carpet secured tightly and well padded. I can understand how the ball shaped corners could do that, but I would recommend adding cheap rubber feet that would keep the ball corners elevated and keep the case from moving. just my thoughts :)

Trending Topics