Cheap Pedals that Beat the Expensive Ones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thewordking, Jul 16, 2017.

1. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

The MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive surprised me a lot. I liked it better than several really expensive boutique ODs, including a Precision Multi-Drive. Really great voicing and tweakability, and absolutely holds its own.

Pablomago, fretless and GeorgeNada like this.
  2. pietjeekes

pietjeekes Member

I regret not getting there chorus CE-2 clone. THey actualy are great pedals. Only it is cheap quality on the housing.

3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Nobody else matters. :aok

4. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Which Proco rat do you mean? The current version or a previous version?

5. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Yes.

6. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

For sure! There only way to describe it is this sort of "weight" on the repeat. It's like, I've had digital delays, but they sound digital. This has a unique oomph to it that nothing else has been able to replicate, including all of Boss's other delays (I've owned just about all of them). That and the reverse feature on the DD5 is also like nothing else out there. If you need something with more than just digital delay, it's not the pedal for you, but you can certainly get a lot done with it! Sits in a mix really well, too.

7. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

I mean, I use a 90s US made one. So I would generally recommend tracking down an American one if possible, or a modded newer one. You can find either for pretty cheap second hand on various sites.

8. BlueTurnip

BlueTurnip Member

Any recommendations for a cheap delay that can do a 100% wet reverse?

Cheap = below £100

9. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Ibanez TS-7 ugly Tone Lok series in Hot mode - $25 bucks or so used, lots of gain and low end.

thewordking likes this.
  10. thewordking

thewordking Member

The TS-7 is one of the best TS pedals out there. It's also one of the ugliest TS pedals out there.

valvestate, Germi and Baxter Stockman like this.
  11. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

I think you could put just about any Mooer on there.

Price wise and pound for pound they are some of the best pedals produced. I especially like the Trelicopter and the Mod Factory.

I really like the TC Electronic MoJo MoJo. It has to be one of the best overdrives in production today, and it is priced AMAZINGLY cheap.

Also I must add that I bought a Donner pedal the other day, its an echo I think its called Yellow Fall. It is surprisingly good. I bought it based on reviews and demos on YouTube and it didn't disappoint.

12. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Got a Yellow Fall also...pretty darn good pedal.

Flatscan likes this.
  13. sloanfiske

sloanfiske Supporting Member

The intially unloved but now revered TS-10 I think sounds better than the 7 series and sometimes the 9 and 808. I pulled mine out now and then again, spanks a lot of "high end" pedals depending...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  14. nsnate02

nsnate02 Supporting Member

I've compared in person the Joyo AC Tone and American Sound to their Tech 21 counterparts and I sent the Tech 21's back. Only thing I like better was the silent switch and the ability to turn the cab sim off. Otherwise the Joyo stuff is fantastic. I like everything I've tried from Joyo.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  15. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

The oft-maligned Ibanez 7-series effects has some real sleepers in the lineup.

The only thing really bad about the TS-7 is the footswitch. I bought mine about 15 years ago, and the switch needs a little more physical persuasion these days, but the sound quality is still great.

16. Mouzik

Mouzik Member

Never understood if they can be used as regular od/dist pedals in front of an amp input

17. nsnate02

nsnate02 Supporting Member

I use the AC Tone as an OD pedal on one of my setups and works well. The Tech 21 allows you to turn off the cab sim. The AC you can bypass the cab sim internally, but I was never that adventurous and it didn't seem to make a huge difference.

18. thewordking

thewordking Member

Yeah, the foot switch is pretty terrible. And it's hideous, but it sounds great. I even like the "high gain" mode on it. Hopefully they'll come out with a reissue in 30 years with a nice metal case and a better footswitch.

Baxter Stockman likes this.
  19. thewordking

thewordking Member

I totally agree. For me, if we're just talking about unmodded pedals the order goes:
    TS808HW>TS-10>TS-7>TSmini>808>9 and, yes, I have way too many tubescreamers.

20. Schpyder

Schpyder Member

I mean, the board on even the newer RAT 2s is simple and spaced out enough that it's pretty easy to replace op-amp with an LM308N ($8 shipped off Reverb) if you REALLY think that the slew rate is just that important to the sound.

I don't.

WhiskeyTango likes this.