cheap rockabilly guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bruvtilov, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Bruvtilov

Bruvtilov Member

Hello everybody,

I've been asked to join a Rockabilly/Rock 'n' Roll group. I've been playing professionally for a couple of years now, but there's no semi-hollow in my collection yet. I think I can get away by using a Tele, but it's nice to look the part too with a semi-hollow. Plus, it's an excuse to buy a new guitar!

I was thinking maybe a cheap Ibanez Artcore with a Bigsby and pickup upgrade? A while ago I played some budget Gretsches in a shop but most of the hardware was plastic and they felt really cheap.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

2. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Maybe the newer "budget" Gretsches use cheaper components, but I really liked the Historic Series that I owned. Really nice guitar for the $.

3. Number8

Number8 Member

Do the Gretsch thing. ;)

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Did you look at the Gretsch G512X series? The only thing suspect on those would be the tuners, and they actually aren't that bad.

What says cheap Rockabilly more boldly than this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck with the hunt.

5. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

Use the Telecaster. You'll be fine.

6. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

how about a G&L asat special...good guitar, low price

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I would say that you;d be just fine with a Tele but since you want a new axe I'll tell ya this...nothing is more Rockabilly than a Gretsch and not much out there is cheaper than the new Electromatic stuff from Gretsch...it's a win win!

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Gretsch Electromatic 5120 if you want a Bigsby guit... super values & quality ~$500

9. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Several years ago I caught a rockabilly band out of England. They had the whole Stray Cats thing going on with the slicked back hair, standup bass, etc. The lead singer/guitarist played a blonde Tele and shredded the f' outta it! Those guys were good!

Wish I could remember their name.

10. NoahL

NoahL Member

I've owned two of the three guitars mentioned here -- a G&L ASAT Special and a modded Ibanez Artcore. You can find a used US-made ASAT for $600 if you're clever; a used or new Asian-made G&L Tribute ASAT will cost you $300 to $450 -- and will have the very same pickups as the US-made. VERY knowledgeable G&L players say there's not much difference between US and Asian-made tone-wise. But although it's a wonderful guitar that is kind of like a fatter, wider Tele and more versatile besides, it sure ain't a semihollow with a Bigsby! My Artcore with aftermarket pickups is a great guitar -- those Artcores are amazingly nicely made and cheap on the used market; with full-price aftermarket pickups you're looking at $500, max. But at that point, why not buy the Gretsch and not have to monkey around?

11. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

The Gretsch 5120s are pretty nice I must say.

12. NoahL

NoahL Member

hey, i got another thought. how about one of those semi-hollow Xavieres from Guitar Fetish? They're about $180 and look like a cross between a Dano and a Tele, with humbuckers.

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

My bandmate has an Epi (p90's?) that he likes for that stuff but I find it to be a handful. Tele is just plain easier to play, but the vib arm is almost essential for the style.

14. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

A Tele is a great rockabilly guitar. Also, you can find used Guild Starfire IIIs in great nick for around a grand. Although they have full-size HBs they can twang very well indeed. Really good pickups on these - I love the last Westerleys. I just bought one that's practically brand new for $1200.

Guild also made a "Rockabilly" hollowbody that can be a killer bargain if you can find one. And there are a fair few new Gretsch 6120s on Ebay right now for around $1200-1300. My fave rockabilly guitar is my Gretsch RHH but they tend to be a bit pricey. I just saw a beautiful flamey Gretsch 6120AM on Ebay for I think $1200 - now that would be a fab rockabilly guitar!

15. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

There are a couple of DeArmond guitars that would be right up your alley: Starfire Special, T-400, M-75t or M-77t.

16. rooster

rooster Member

Carl Perkins did it pretty well with a Tele, and later, an ASAT. AFAIK, he and Johnny Cash invented it, for the most part.

rooster.

17. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Carl Perkins also played a lot of Gibsons too. It's funny - say rockabilly and everyone thinks Gretsch and Tele. But there aren't too many original rockabilly guys who played Gretsches, esp Filter'tron Gretsches, as they weren't around 'til '58. The only Gretsch playing rockabilly guys that I know of were Cliff Gallup (Dearmond Duojet and Stratocaster) and Eddie Cochran (Dearmond/P90 6120).

My fave rockabilly dude was Scotty Moore and he played big body Gibsons. Paul Burlinson played a Tele but then there is a fair bit of debate as to whether he played a lot of the Rock'n'roll Trio stuff on record anyway! Luther Perkins (Johnny Cash) played a Tele and he got a great sound. Very rockabilly, as Rooster points out.

Now, having said all of that, I still love my filter'tron 6120s for rockabilly!

18. m4tt

m4tt Member

reverend flatroc?

19. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

20. Grap

Grap Member

Epiphone Kat series:

Wildkat, Alleykat, and last but not least the Flamekat.