Cheap, small, clean amp head for shimmer: Opinions?

the tourist

So I'm trying to figure out how I can get shimmer (octave up 100% wet reverb) in my rig without it pervading my standard tone. What I've gatherered as the best way to achieve this is to split my signal first on my pedal board and then send the shimmer signal into a volume pedal, then into a shimmer pedal, and then into a second amp head. I've got a couple 2x12 cabs with the Avatar multijack so I can run one head to each speaker. The only thing I'd use the second head for is as a platform for the shimmer, so it wouldn't need to be the best sounding, just mildly passable.

So what can I get for, say, $200 in a head? Looking for around 15 watts, doesn't need to be tube, with just Gain/Volume, BMT, and master volume. Head is a must. And it'd be nice if it was small; maybe small enough to fit into a backpack if there is such a thing? I've noticed the Ibanez TSA15H for $300, and I've seen it used for $250 (which seems steep used, in my opinon). Is there anything else?

Last edited:

DaveKS

My big ???? would be how many watts is your dry signal amp and how cranked is it. Also what mix % would you usually run your dry/wet ratio?

csweldon

How about a Crate Powerblock? Can be had for a song, and they're very portable! More than the 15 watts you mention, but you don't need to crank it and it also sounds surprisingly decent for what it is.

the tourist

Used classic 30 head? :dunno
I haven't seen any under $300 sadly.

Only 5 watts.

Thinking outside the box - GK MB200.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB200

A bit more than your ideal $200 but would be great in every other way. :aok
Interesting idea!

My big ???? would be how many watts is your dry signal amp and how cranked is it. Also what mix % would you usually run your dry/wet ratio?
My main rig is a 15 watt BadCat Cub III with an Unleash to whatever volume I need. Shimmer would never be louder than the Cub. If I ran my Cub's gain at half and master wide open, I'd run the shimmer at 9 o'clock with the master a touch over noon I'd estimate.

Cirrus

You might find 5 watts is fine - shimmer doesn't have any lower frequencies eating up clean headroom, and frankly a little bit of amp-colour to the shimmer tone will stop it sounding like church.:rockin

DaveKS

Well if you can dig one up used a ISP Stealth is what you need really. I know it has none of other features you requested but I don't see you really need them. Would assume your either using unleashes line out or bad cats effects send so your using their EQ. You could alway dump a EQ in line if needed.

I myself would rather use a small combo amp so that wet has it's own cab. Sometimes when doing wet/dry running in same cab, close proximity to other speaker you can get phase issues pop up between speakers depending on effect. I like pointing reverb delays etc at back or side walls as well.

If you run your wet mix at 9:00 that's about 25% wet mix! but I don't know how many watts you crank unleash up to when needed so hard to get handle on how many watts you actually do need to achieve a 25% wet mix. If say 40w a little Laney cub 10 might give enough wet mix.

Trending Topics