Cheap Sub-30w Fender Voiced Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jes89, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jes89

jes89 Member

I've been thinking a lot in getting an amp to run stereo with my hayseed 15. I really want the traditional black face sound with a 12 inch speaker thats lower in wattage. So far I've been looking at:

Super Champ X2 - Hybrid amp so Im not too sure how it handles pedals
    Blues Jr III - Haven't been super impressed with the blues jr for traditional fender
    Hot Rod deluxe - is it too much wattage? planning on 6v6 in the preamp

any others? Im looking to spend less than 400-500 dollars.

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

For pure Blackface tones, out of those, I'd take the Hot Rod Deluxe, leave it pretty much stock and put a more Fender-specific speaker in it and a couple better tubes.

You do mean 6V6s in the power amp, right?

I wouldn't worry about doing all the mods needed to run 6V6s unless you are specifically wanting the power amp to clip. The problem with that is, once you decide that is 'your tone', you need to run at those volume levels constantly to get that tone. With 6L6s, they sound pretty much the same without a pretty wide range of volume levels as long as the speaker stays clean.

I hope that makes sense. A lot of what you hear in the 22-50 watt Blackface and Silverface amps is the preamp getting hit with pickups and/or pedals... and/or speaker breakup.

At the other extreme, something like a Twin with JBLs or EVMs sounds pretty much the same from 2 on the volume knob to about 6 or 7.

Not trying to steer you one way or the other, but if you want 6V6 Blackface tones so you can get a bit of power section breakup, just get a used Deluxe Reverb then if/when you decide you want something different, you can get ~95% of your money back out of it.

3. jes89

jes89 Member

Thanks cratz, would the hot rod deluxe being 40w bury my hayseed 15? i dont want to have to run the hot rod at 2 while the hayseed is cranked and not get to push the hot rod at all.

4. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

yes it would eat your Hayseed 15 alive lol

5. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Get a used Princeton Reverb Reissue. Brilliant amp that hits on all of your criteria. Same wattage, 6v6 power amp, killer tone, and a mighty sweet trem as a bonus!

6. dshobe

Oops, forgot about the 12" speaker requirement.

7. jes89

jes89 Member

haha and can I find a prri for less the 500? argh...

8. dshobe

Dunno about Canada, but I see them pop up on CL locally for $500+/- a few bucks. Just gotta be patient.

9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Hrmm... I don't think I've ever seen a PRRI for $500.

The thing with the Hot Rod Deluxe is the volume pot is really twitchy.

Are you wanting to run both amps at the same time or switch back and forth between them?

10. jes89

jes89 Member

same time, for some reason Canadians have this thing of upping the price on musical instruments lol. Hot rod deluxe goes for 500+ used here

11. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Ahh... I hear ya. Yeah, I'd think to get the Hot Rod into the 'pushed' range, it would be pretty dang loud. Having said that, I think that Blackface amps in general are going to outdo the Hayseed if both are being 'pushed'. Most Blackface-oriented amps are pretty much about headroom. Maybe a Princeton might be the ticket. I haven't owned a Hayseed, but I've owned three Vox AC15s and a modded DRRI and a couple other clean Fenders. A DRRI without a pedal in front of it will stay pretty much clean until the AC15 is way, way beyond clean.

I really like both families of amps, and maybe you are trying to do something I'm not understanding, but if you want an AC15 on stage getting kinda dirty and a Deluxe Reverb (or bigger) on stage getting into some amount of breakup... I think the Fender is going to be decidedly louder than the Hayseed unless you are using pedals or attentuators.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy or anything... just having used both amps (or similar amps)... the Fenders tend to stay pretty clean.

12. jes89

jes89 Member

thats cool, i guess Im just trying to mix both sounds of the fender blackface and vox sound together. This represented by my favourite players (the edge and john mayer). I guess the fender is all about having headroom, didnt really think of it that way before. Although I like the ability to be able to use my picking dynamics in gettings the amp to break up.

13. johnfv

johnfv Member

The Egnater Tweaker will do some pretty convincing "Fenderish" tones (and a bunch of other tones as well). Here is a clip I did with the Tweaker (Strat through a TC Nova Repeater straight into the amp, a touch of verb in the mix): http://johnviehweg.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/RussianTweakerVERB.mp3

I do have a '60s blackface Showman but I like how I can crank the Tweaker and work those power tubes at a more reasonable volume.