Cheap Thick Picks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by S1Player, Jan 30, 2015.

1. S1Player

S1Player Member

I've recently been trying out different Thick Flat Picks - V-Pick, Wegen, etc. Nice picks - but can be expensive.

I found a cheap alternative - the Dunlop Primetone pick in 5mm thickness. Stock - it has a horrible picking edge. But, with some sandpaper, file, etc - you can put your own bevel point on the picking edge and have what turns out to be a nice thick pick that's in the Wegen, V-pick type thickness at a fraction of the price.

Worth a look if your interested in trying a thick pick and are willing to do a little sanding.

2. rummy

rummy Member

I use Ultex 2.0, but the Primetone looks interesting.

3. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

How thick? If you are talking 5mm, I have no idea, but at 2mm, a nice cheaper alternative to the usual customers (Adamas, Telefunken, Wegen, V-Picks, etc) is the either the Ultex mentioned above or, I really like the 2.0mm Dunlop Delrin 500's, I think they are even cheaper than the Ultex.

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

Clayton has a lot of great thicker picks.

5. S1Player

S1Player Member

In the OP - I'm talking 5mm.

I purchased a v-pick colossal and insanity and a few others - so I don't really think of a pick being thick now unless it's over 3mm. Even more like 4mm and above.

The best deal on 3mm thick-ish pick is the Dunlop "Big Stubby" and "Tri Stubby". Both are great picks, especially for the price. Didn't care for the 474 "Jazz" Stubby 3mm - but that's really a preference thing.

6. JCJones

JCJones Member

I have a number of thick picks myself. Including the V-Pick Dimension(4.1mm),the Wegen Fatone(5mm),John Pearse Fast Turtle(4mm) as well as two of the Dunlop Primetone 5mm picks and one of the 3mm picks as well. I don't play Gypsy Jazz but these thick picks are frequently marketed towards players that do.

To my ears the Wegen is the warmest sounding and easiest to play. I love the bevel on those things. The two Primetone series are clearly designed to go after Wegen and Blue Chip, the 'Sculpted Plectra' series are made out of Ultex and are physical clones of certain models of Blue Chip picks. The thicker Primetones are modeled after the Wegen picks but are a little different. They are a polycarbonate of some sort.

Both the Primetones are brighter sounding than either Wegen or Blue Chip picks. That's definitely the case with the Sculpted Plectra but a little more subtle with the thicker picks. Worth checking out in any event.

7. S1Player

S1Player Member

Once you get an edge on the Primetone - it definitely has the feel of the Wegens material. With the picking point made sharper than the Wegen stock edge - I am actually liking the Primetone better than the more expensive Wegen picks.

I like the sharp points on the V-Pick better than the somewhat rounded edge on the Wegen. I'm going to sharpen the point on my Wegens picks to try to get a sharper picking edge I am more comfortable with.

And, the John Pearse Fast Turtle 4mm is absolutely the best pick for pure rhythm playing. Feels like it just glides across the strings.

8. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Dunlop 208 jazz tone. Not expensive, very thick but with a beveled edge for nice snap. Best pick I've ever used hands down, the $4/pick V picks didn't come close. I've tried all sorts of things, nothing has tempted me away from 208s. I also like the 206s if you are more into the teardrop shape.

9. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Regarding the 208's..how thick are they compared to V-picks small pointed..his version of the jazz III..?

10. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I just recently found that I like the D'Andrea Pro Plec 351's a lot. My normal pick is the Dunlop Tortex III pointy 1.0. I have a bunch of V-Picks too and a killer red Gravity pick that I keep losing lol.

11. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

Question from someone who has been finger picking for a loooong time.

I never gave up picks entirely...I still devote a portion of my mechanical workouts to using a pick.

I really like the Big Stubbys. Red, or the thicker purple ones. Any opinion on those compared to the picks you're talking about?

12. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

They have really nice tone for the price. However, they wear quite easily compared to a number of the more expensive varieties.

For off the shelf (if you can find them) mass produced picks, they are one of the top choices for sure.

I don't ever use mine since I have Blue Chips and V-Picks. But I do let friends use them and not worry about if they walk off with them.

The 208s are around 2.0mm, the "standard" v-pick is more like 2.75mm

They sound completely different.

13. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Thanks 78...very helpful...I'm thinking of trying his new version of the small pointed...I forget the name right now... anyway, thanks again.

14. S1Player

S1Player Member

I like the Big Stubby Purple (3mm). Comparing the Big Stubby to the Primetone - they are different material. Stubby is a harder feeling, sounding plastic. I like those a lot.

The Primetone is of course thicker at 5mm. The material is much more like the Wegens-type pick material. So, I think the primetone is not quite as bright. Also, the primetime is indented like the big purple, so a similar feel in that way.

Personally, I really like the Purple Big Stubby - both the traditional and the big triangular pick. The Primetone is not to expensive to try. If you are willing to sharpen them to a point, they are worth a try.

15. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

I have some black 3 mm Primetone Jazz picks and I wasn't thrilled with them. I like the regular Jazztone line 206 or 208 better. I'll have to give the Ultex Primetones a try soon. I'm pretty sure the Stubby line of picks are made out of Lexan.