Cheap tremolo pedal, but choppier than the Trelicopter?

BWOTW

I have a Fame (Biyang) big box tremolo that I like, but I'm trying to save a little bit of room on the board by going to a micro-pedal. I bought the Mooer Trelicopter, which gets nothing but good reviews... and I'm kinda underwelmed.

I need two sounds out of this thing: Smooth and subtle to enrich clean sounds, and choppy ON/OFF effects. The Trelicopter can do the first sounds OK, but can't get very choppy. Throw some distortion (either before or after) and the tremolo isn't very pronounced at all, even with Depth and Bias cranked. My Biyang does this so much better.

Is there any other micro (or MXR-sized at the most) trem pedal that can get choppy?

I'd rather keep it simple and analog; don't need different modes, tap tempos and such. I play into a dirty amp, so the volume-drop issues don't bother me at all.

Thanks!

chandra

UV300. Just got mine and very impressed by it. Has a quick rate that can get choppy when dimed, or close to dimed.

Quite a few pedals that'll do choppy/smooth. Ones I can think of on the cheaper side
TC Electronics Pipeline
Danelectro Tuna Melt
Danelectro Cool Cat

The problem you'll run into with choppy is if whoever designed the pedal didn't design it to your particular taste in on/off time ration in the cycle, then you are SOL.

Most of these options do fairly close to equal on/off time in the cycle. But if you want to not take chances, then I'd go for a Trem that allows you to adjust the duty cycle of the wave shape when in square mode.

chandra

I'm all about the UV300. However that is Vibrato, not Tremolo
Haha, my bad! You can do a mod on the behringer so it emulates trem and also adjusts the rate of the effect. But even without, it can emulate trem, but not to the same extent w/o te mod. Sorry, should've mentioned that in my post, lol.

Edit: while we're here, behringer also offers a clone of a Boss tremolo. Name of the clone escapes me atm, and I'm sure it's discountinued. But can still be picked up on amazon and other retailers for cheap. If my memory is correct tho, it has a noticeable tone suck depending on rig

BWOTW

Thanks for all the responses but, the more I look at my board, the more I'm convinced I need a micro pedal, I'm afraid anything bigger just won't fit right. I think the Boss TR2 would work great (the Biyang is, I think, a TB clone of that), as I'm sure the Danelectro and Behringer would. But I think I need the micro layout for this one.

I looked at Mooer and I think they only offer two more trems, both digital, which would not be my preference. Anyone has experience with these? Any other micro trem pedals that can get choppy?

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Not a mini, but look at the EQD Hummingbird.
It ONLY does choppy (like a Vox repeat percussion) but has a depth control.
So still choppy but doesn’t have to be full off/on

It is analog too

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
The old Boss Tremelo Pan pedal does an awesome choppy trem, it sounds like a sequencer when you use it on the square wave setting with an overdriven guitar. They go for big bucks these days, but I was lucky to buy one for $40 new when they discontinued them and GC clearanced them out years ago.
Al

Dirty Tony

Ive been in the same search and I could settle only with the Zvex Sonar, its the best and allows you to set everything. I tried many but the sonar was the only one that does heavy chopping in front of very blasted-high gain amp.
Second comes the SD SS but its big (I tried the 1st version)...

andrekp

+1 on the EQD Hummingbird. Can get as choppy as you'd ever need. Depth control tames it as much as you'd also need.

Ljudet

TC Electronic Choka. Cheap and choppy, I think I've heard somewhere it's a rehoused Behringer.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
To big for what you want, but the best deal going are the BBE Tremor, two seperate speeds and can nail the Smiths How Soon Is Now sound.

iama

I bought the Trelicopter to replace my Marshall VibraTrem. No dice. It didn't compare. Hoping to find a Mini that's as good as the Marshall.

Trending Topics