Cheap Trick... Did they defy the trends?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Wyatt Martin, Feb 24, 2019.

1. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I was at the mall the other day buying a jacket or something in some store and "I Want You To Want Me" comes up through the PA. As I'm walking around, I see there's at least three different people softly singing along.

Talk about a hook.

2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

You're a little young, but you could've hung with us. We would've bought you beer :D

I was thinking about the classic shirt though.

Scrapperz and Funky Chicken like this.
  3. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I was 14 in this picture. Had seen CT for the first time three months earlier. Went to the show by myself-my grandmother dropped me off at Convention Hall in Asbury Park and picked me up after. Really. Another place and time for sure.

4. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

I’m not sure what playing a 25 song set has to do with a 50 vs 100 show residency Vegas.

27sauce likes this.
  5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

Yeah, that's about what I expected, almost old enough to drive, but not quite. That's about the age I started ruining my future too ;D

Funky Chicken likes this.
  6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Nothing, I misread.

Not like anyone will read this.

art_z likes this.
  7. sws1

sws1 Member

He doesn't really jump...rather he lifts he feet off the ground for a bit, and then puts them back before get falls too far.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  8. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Bingo! That was exactly the song I was thinking of when I used the term punk in my original post.

I didn't discover their debut album until about 1994. When I heard that song I thought to myself that song could have influenced some one like Green Day. Punk guitars with an almost pop like vocal.

To me there are songs on that debut album that were precursors of trends to come.

"She's Tight" from the early 80s is almost a pre Poison "Talk Dirty To Me" and Rick Neilson's look in the video could almost be the inspiration for Freddy Krueger.

Scrapperz likes this.
  9. negative.feedback

negative.feedback Member

First off I love Cheap Trick.

They followed musical trends for sure with all the synths and drum machines in some of the 80s stuff.

IMO they were never "huge" because they weren't able to write enough "huge hits". And maybe because of the goofy gimmicks.

Beyondless likes this.
  10. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

They were a local bar band I often saw in their hometown of Rockford and places like the Red Lion in Dekalb before they took off. Tight way back then.

Scott57 likes this.
  11. pepedede

pepedede Member

12. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

Johnny Ramone disagrees.

13. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Got to see them in a small club here in Jackson MS about 13 years ago.

Great tones and great playing by everyone

An amazing show I am super happy to have gotten to see.

They are what rock n roll should be.

And I agree Bunn E. Is missed these days for sure.

Scrapperz likes this.
  14. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

They were the second concert I ever saw. An unknown band, The Romantics, opened for them. It was a great show. I guess that was the Dream Police tour. Saw them again after they released the album "One On One." Another great concert.

Bun E. Carlos' drumming is just great. Even when he's just laying down the beat, he has this big, full sound.

15. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

That's his side - and in all marriages there are two sides. Neilson has commented off line that
    Carlos is a whiney little monkey who complains about everything. I tend to believe them
    both - that and in the mid 2000's Carlos had some serious back issues that forced him
    to miss a chunk of shows - the rest of the band brought in another drummer - and they
    were all happy with the lack of complaints - which I think is why in 2010 he was asked
    to not play drums for Cheap Trick anymore.

Oddly enough - he still owns a share of Cheap Trick - so much so that he's worth about
    $15 Million or so these days - which is pretty good for a guy who didn't write but one
    song.

willyboy likes this.
  16. willyboy

willyboy Member

Wow I'd never heard this before, this is fantastic. This is more the Cheap Trick I love, the rawness and energy that wasn't quite there on a lot of their studio releases. The alternate version of I Want You is actually a really cool rearrangement.

pepedede likes this.
  17. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Great band. You need to delve back in time to listen to The Move to get a clearer vision of where they're coming from, especially the bass sound. I was in a working punk/roots band in Illinois in 1979 and the shadow of CT was large. The majority of acts at that time where in the Journey, Styx, Kansas, etc. mode. We were a 4 piece straight up 2G, 1B, 1D band playing loud and fast. The locals liked it.

18. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Some of the later ones were brilliant too.

Their 1997 album called "Cheap Trick" released on Red Ant is as good as anything else they've done.

Great band. I've heard Rick Nielsen describe themselves as "everybody's 2nd favorite band" in some interview somewhere.

wattage, Anthony Gring and pepedede like this.
  19. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Rock stars have never been sarcastic, facetious, dishonest or just said something to surprise/shock fans or show how hip or openminded they are.

20. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

They are the reason I play guitar