Cheap Trick... Did they defy the trends?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Wyatt Martin, Feb 24, 2019.

1. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Great live band! I've seen them several times and they always killed live! Robin Zander is a great singer IMO! There was a bit of a punk rock ethos while maybe not musically, the image thing with Rick and Bun. E being throw backs and Robin and Tom being sort of modern rock looking (at that time) was kind of contrarian and Rick definitely evoked a smart-assed punk attitude on stage! I burnt myself out on the Budokan and Dream Police tunes but heard Downed the other day and thought it still sounded great to my ears!

2. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

25 SONGS
    50 SHOWS (not songs)
    The long shows to me was why I liked them so much live, they played their asses off for a good long show! I'm sure at his age Bun E can feel the burn after that many tunes but Robin could kill all night!

3. Defendant

Defendant Member

To this day, Cheap trick are a living, breathing testament to the power of great songwriting.

wattage and Uncle Bob like this.
  4. larry1096

larry1096 Member

I saw them on their first tour after 'Budokan' came out, at the old, 'If there's a fire in here we're ALL going to die' Chicago Amphitheater.

I've always said that seeing them and Kiss in '79 ruined me for concerts for many years...not many acts could compete with those two bands.

Larry

5. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

Cheap Trick is one of the few bands I will recommend to anyone to go see live. I have seen them at least a dozen times and they are consistently good. I also had the fortune to see the Sgt Pepper show in Vegas and it was simply amazing. Geoff Emerick did sound the night I was there, got to meet him afterwards. Cheap Trick is one of those bands, like maybe Motorhead, that many people like regardless of their musical affiliations. Metal folks, pop folks, punk folks, doesn't matter. Their material is good, the songs are catchy, the live show is fun, the crowd is always into it - it's a consistent good time.

It's worth seeing them just for the guitars!

6. Scott57

Scott57 Member

Same here. I attended N.I.U. and the last two years lived in the apartments across the street from the Red Lion. I never did see Cheap Trick outside of the bar scene.

If I remember correctly Live at Budokan was first only available as a Japanese import costing approximately $35.00 when most albums were only $3.99.

84Bravo likes this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

8. Beyondless

Beyondless Member

The gimmick is soooooo off putting, I hate it. The perpetual joke that was never really that funny to begin with. I feel embarrassed for them.
    Also, Cheap Trick is absolutely one of my favorite rock bands of that era.

Papanate likes this.
  9. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Suburban Estates? I lived There for two years.

Scott57 likes this.
  10. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

Saw them opening for Kansas in January, 1978. In my neck of the woods almost no one had heard of them nor knew what to expect. They were like a 2 X 4 across the head, and after that opening performance not a an hour went by that you didn't hear them on local radio.

11. Scott57

Scott57 Member

LOL, that sounds right (so long ago and I'm so much older). Ridge Drive. Second floor. The balcony, which was described as a veranda, faced the parking lot and a large field towards campus. I loved the Red Lion because it was just across the street. Good times at McCabes - still have a couple of the metal buckets - as well.

84Bravo likes this.
  12. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

He's a Whore is the Beatles meet Semi Punk. Anytime at All indeed...

13. Papanate

I thought they wrote enough 'hits' - but the Rick Neilson / Bun E Carlos weirdo schtick
    just didn't work after the second album - it was a bit creepy for the audience they were
    aiming at. When they aged out - Nielson dropped the costume - Carlos really didn't have
    a costume - more like a chain smoking accountant. I thought Neilson looked the coolest
    in early 2000s or so.

[​IMG]

14. dazar

dazar Member

I saw them in 79 at the Portland Civic Center. By far the loudest band I've ever heard; so loud in fact that it was painful. that said I've always loved them.

15. wattage

wattage Member

i love them to death, probably my favorite band if I really thought about such things

Got to meet Rick, Robin and Daxx this weekend. They were great, still rock like crazy.

Did/do they defy trends? I'd say yes for the most part

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  16. Papanate

Wow...that's something I've never associated with Cheap Trick - being too loud.

17. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Glad to see this recent thread.

Fifty years old and just now discovering this band.

Sure, I've always known the radio hits, but never cared enough to purchase an album. That changed yesterday when on a whim I gave their first three releases a thorough listen and was absolutely blown away.

moore-fiend, ChampReverb and sixgunn like this.
  18. MotorHeadKiller

MotorHeadKiller Member

I have seen them over 40 times.
    They can still deliver the mail.
    As far as Bun. E. is concerned, he would write out the set lists and they often included slower songs.
    He reportedly said "I don't like doing 25 songs. I think that just kills the audience. I think the show should be 17, 18, 19 songs and encores.
    Are they as good with Daxx Nielsen? Yes and no.
    They sounded better with Bun E but now they are playing at least an hour and 45 minutes.
    Where as, with Bun E. they played sets in the hour and 15 minute range.
    And they are playing heavier material with Daxx.
    They are going to tour with ZZ Top and play venues with 10,000 people or more.
    I am sure they will be very good as they are very consistent.
    But if really want the "CT experience", find them in a club that holds, say 2000 people.
    Especially if it is general admission.
    Their sound and charisma really shine under those circumstances.

Here are two videos from the Capitol Theater in Port Chester,NY. (capacity 1800)
    Two different shows. 2015 and 2016.
    I was at both - right near the cameraman both times.

19. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I like this version. It’s nicely fleshed out and Robin and Rick can still bring it.

I was working in a record store in the late ‘70’s / early ‘80’s and we played their lp’s a lot in the store. I got to see them live several times in small clubs and later in small theaters.

-bEn r.

lemonman likes this.
  20. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member