Cheap Trick: Greatest Pop Rock Band Ever...discuss

blood5150

Its pretty amazing how many musicians from their era state that Cheap Trick is their favorite band....

straightblues

Fantastic live band back in the day. Still very good today! I think the music scene changed and they didn't seem to keep up with the change as well as many other bands. They were huge for awhile.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Everyone talks about their schtick, they were just before my time.

What was their schtick, if you don't mind me asking...

We often play Surrender and I Want You to Want Me.

Not sure it's much different now, though Bun E. is gone. Nielson and Bun E. Carlos playing the goofy side against the glamour boys Zander and Petersson, high energy with Nielson especially cutting up and mugging on stage, tossing picks constantly, etc., numerous guitars coming and going, never a dull moment but through it all fantastic playing by all.

Bankston

My first concert was Cheap Trick and Night Ranger on the 7 Wishes Tour.

Man, what a great show that was.

We were supposed to open for Robin at a club date a few months ago but the venue cancelled him due to poor ticket sales. We wound up headlining the show. Cheap Trick, however, still is a big draw.

Great band.

frisco kid

Silver Supporting Member
IDK...their 'shtick' was no worse than Angus Young's schoolboy outfit, Kiss's makeup, ZZ Top's beards...i don't think it hurt them one bit as the music was always great.

Robin Zander and Tom Peterson were pretty boy rock looking dudes Rick Nielsen and Bun E Carlos were dorks.

madbob

Silver Supporting Member
My first concert was the Lap of Luxury tour and I was at the ACL taping. They should have gotten into rock hall of fame before Kiss, but that is another discussion.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
I saw them back in early October in a fairly small venue and it was a good performance. Being an old man of 56, I wasn't up to standing for the whole show, so it was up and down, picking my spots (favorite songs).

I made the big mistake of getting 6th row tickets instead of, oh I don't know, THE BALCONY! Never again. And of couse it's too loud when you're pretty much familiar with the material they cover and it takes you half of the song to figure out what it is.

bearbike137

Silver Supporting Member
Saw them in June 1979 when they headlined at The International Amphitheatre in Chicago. Great show.

That said, I have always felt they went immediately off the rails with Dream Police a few months later and never really got back on track.

DrumBob

For some reason, I have never been a fan. A few good tunes here and there, but still...they just don't move me. I'd rather listen to The Move, Big Star, Patto, and all the other bands they've copied.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom