Cheap Trick on Live From Daryl's House (Surrender)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gdomeier, May 6, 2016.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Wow, that was killer. Daryl's harmonies took that song to a greater place. I searched for a video but couldn't find one. Check out the episode if you can!

RGB and Hush like this.
  2. mikebat

mikebat Member

"Live at Budokan" was what really lit me up as a kid. Much of what I loved as a kid, I am now sheepishly embarrassed off to some extent. Not Cheap Trick

I would love to see that

3. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Watching it right now. One of the best LFDH that I've seen.

fjblair and HipKitty like this.
  4. Flying_V1968

Flying_V1968 Member

I wore the grooves out of that album!

EataPeach likes this.
  5. kingsxman

By the way, while this show again is one of my favorites, it just goes to show again how Darryl Hall has zero recognition of what it takes to sing WITH someone else and do material that is not your own. A good singer knows to let the main vocolist "lead" and watch them out of the corner of thier eye (or directly look at them) to get what they are doing with phrasing, etc. so you match up. Darryl continues to just sing his own renditions of choruses, etc even when singing with someone else who wrote the song. I think its an ego thing personally... (i.e. "I'm Darryl Hall..this is my show...I dont care who's song it is you follow me!". Many times during the choruses Darrel was NOT singing the phrasing of the vocals the same as the others. Its a continual issue with him. #DOYOURHOMEWORK.

Great show overall though. I cant believe this isnt getting more love.

The new song "No Direction" was a great tune.

standard24, buddaman71, BMX and 3 others like this.
  6. sws1

sws1 Member

I disagree. Darryl is being Darryl, and he's bringing his own thing to the table. I don't want to hear Darryl attempt to sound like someone else. I want him to add his uniquely soulful Philly sound to it.

fjblair, Phletch, brbadg and 6 others like this.
  7. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Oh man, one of my favorite bands ever. Gotta see if I can catch this episode. Hopefully, it's being repeated.

8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I thought that was a good episode too. I had no idea that H&O and Cheap Trick were long time friends.
    I like Rick's playing, he seemed a little less prepared - or precise that a lot of people who are on the show. I also thought they had some moments of vocal clash - but I think the 2 things might be related - they were getting together to play - not "doing a show for broadcast". I don't mean that in any way as a criticism. I like seeing talented people perform for 'fun' - I don't need to hear them recreate something from a record.

9. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

probably the hardest that Darryl has had to rock in some time.
    Do we know if these are all first takes? I think that's how they try to sell it, but some of the pre-performance chatter suggests they are referencing a part that may have been problematic in a previous pass.

10. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I saw that episode yesterday and really enjoyed it!

11. gdomeier

I would also like to point out someone was playing a jcm900. Maybe Rick?

12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I will have to dig this up on the net at some point.

Oddly enough; we watched the RRHOF on HBONow this weekend. Maybe I am missing something; but it seemed like the whole time Rick Nielsen was bored of the actual songs and would just meander around the neck during every section of the song, trying to throw fills in with things that just really didn't fit. I get it that you're tired of it or whatever; but it seemed like the occasion maybe called for a more note for note rendition as opposed to a "live" rendition? Am I imagining it or what?

muzishun likes this.
  13. gdomeier

Their rrhof performance didn't sound half as good as their appearance Daryl's show.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  14. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

It was indeed behind Rick, and I think there was one behind Daryll on top of a Mesa 4x12. The one by Rick looked like it had a BOSS EQ pedal on top. And I think next to it was a Fender combo - Hot Rod Deville maybe? There was a silver road case in the middle of the floor (hiding the teleprompters) that said JCM900 on it. Robin had an AC30. And how cool is that Gretsch 12 string bass????

I LOVE this show. I'll always watch it when I can. I love the different spins they put on H&O songs as well as the guest's. And I love his band! The drummer looked like he was havin' fun with the Trick tunes. And the percussion guy always looks sooooooo cool.

Loved Daryll's harmonies with Robin, however D's mic was a little too loud in spots so that his harmony overshadowed the main vocal a little.

LOVED that they did some deep CT cuts! And Family Man was excellent.

15. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

:hideDid they at least play the solos note for note?

Phletch and mdrake34 like this.
  16. Headshok

Headshok Member

Regardless of anyone's take on Cheap Trick, Robin is still killing it. Good as he has ever been IMHO.

17. autonomous

autonomous Member

It's his show and Darryl is outstanding. He brings a soulful flair that has made millions of people happy all over the world and you are going to find his vocal leadership qualities not up to your specs. That is pathetic. C'mon man

18. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

His voice sounded really good on RRHOF. I honestly felt like he was doing most of the heavy lifting on the guitar as well :D

My favorite CT album is One on One. Love it! :banana

19. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I get what you mean. To me it sounds like he's laying in the pocket and singing the lyrics straight in the choruses like the back-up singers used to do in soul music. YMMV.

20. kingsxman

He can bring his own thing to the table in the verses when he sings alone. He does a great job of that. But, IMHO, he should show some respect for the guests by at least watching what they heck they are singing and trying to follow along during the choruses.

I think it was "heaven tonight" or "I want you to want me" where he DID add his great "Philly soul" to the verses. that was awesome.