Cheap tube combo that can (stock) be used as a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by loofery, Mar 21, 2006.

1. loofery

loofery Member

Budget is under $500, 30W or less tube combo amp but the stipulation is that it must have an input so it can be used as a cab when hooked up to a standalone head.

I could just do the mod by myself but I'm sure there is some killer amp out there with the stock input. The amp should likewise have a great stock cab.
    Reccomend away. Please. :AOK

Edit: Must have an FX loop. The head I want to hook up to it will be the Epi 5W valve, which will be cranked. So the combo should also be more watts, 30 or less, and that will be used for cleans, effects, and more volume.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Explain what you're trying to do in more detail. I think you're a little off track.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Your problem is you want a good speaker in a decent cab and a combo amp but you don't want to spend the money. You have a head and you also want the second amp? Most amps have a 1/4" jack from the speakers to the input on the amp. You'll need a 1/4" female to 1/4" female adapter. $5. That way you'll just plu the output from your head into the adapter and then into the combo's speakers. The only amp I can think of that has a decent speaker in your price range would be the Traynor YCV20WR which has the Celestion G12M Greenback. It has a baltic birch cab.
    http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=251

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I reread you post and it appears you may want to run the Epi head and the combo together or switching live at rigs? You'll need a switcher like a Radial Headbone so all of a sudden your into another $300 clams. And you couldn't run them together into the speaker (I don't think). You'd be better of getting the YCV20WR and an small decent 1x12 extension cab and then a Radial Bigshot passive switcher or other switcher. This would let you run either the YCV 20WR or the Epi head/cab separately or together. Double amp rigs are not cheap.

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I did this to my pv c30. I ran the amp's output into a homemade A/B box with a heavy duty footswitch. The cab's speaker comes out of the box, which is screwed to the side of the cab. If I need to use it as a cab (if the amp craps out and I need to use my backup Powerblock or something similar), I just hit the switch and run a speaker cable into a jack in on the box that then goes to the speaker. Very simple solution to a backup system. Haven't done that to my Fargen yet, but it's easy to just unplug the plug from the chassis and run it into a female/female jack junction box. I made a few of those for this sort of app. (heavier duty than the ones designed for signal level current)

jon

6. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

I was also thinking of doing something similar. I want to pick up a Fender Blues Deluxe (or something similar in power, size , tone and cost)... However I also wanted to pick up the cheap 5watt epiphone head as a low power solution to situations when low volumes are a must... perhaps as a substitute to attenuation...

However, I wouldnt want to deal with the extra price and space for another cab if i already bought the combo... Whats wrong with just pluging the speaker in the combo into the epi head? I'm sure im being ignorant to something here, so hopefully someone can enlighten me as to why this may be a problem?

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

This statement " Edit: Must have an FX loop. The head I want to hook up to it will be the Epi 5W valve, which will be cranked. So the combo should also be more watts, 30 or less, and that will be used for cleans, effects, and more volume." confuses and troubles me. We really need to know what he's up to here.

BluesDoc, your post troubles me too. Does your A/B switch leave an amp turned on but not connected to a speaker?

8. CapoFirstFret

CapoFirstFret Member

I think he wants to use the epi 5w amp in the effects loop. as a gain booster....

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Which would likely kill both amps.

10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh no!! Its use would be if the amp blows, then I've got a cab'd speaker to use at the other end of a backup system. I know better.

jon

11. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

You could also wire it with a DP switch with the non-used amp going to an 8 ohm "dummy load" power resistor .
    X-pattern wired, with the amps on the 2 center contacts .

[​IMG]

"Down" , A goes to speaker, B goes to 8ohm , "Up" flips the outputs .
    A 5W resistor should be plenty for idle current , just use a switch rated enough for the highest amp wattage involved .

12. loofery

loofery Member

I'm the OP. Just saw this, sorry.

Wes_K has the same question. So can you guys answer his question for the both of us?
    "I wouldnt want to deal with the extra price and space for another cab if i already bought the combo... Whats wrong with just pluging the speaker in the combo into the epi head? I'm sure im being ignorant to something here, so hopefully someone can enlighten me as to why this may be a problem?"

If that would work it would be cost effective and all I would need is a amp that would sound good as a cab, stock. So something like the Traynor when i want to use fx or have more volume, and I could run the epi head into it for cranked tube tone or low volume, until I could afford a dedicated cab for it.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

That would work. If you don't mind stopping to plug and unplug, the double female is $5.