• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Cheapest dotted eighth tap tempo pedal

Young Dad

Silver Supporting Member
I want to try tapping quarter notes and having dotted eighth come out but I don’t want to drop $400 on a timeline or whatever. Are there cheaper options? Thanks

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I had a behringer pedal once that felt like it would fall apart if you looked at it wrong. I'd get one of the Boss digital delay pedals and the extra footswitch.

hallissyc

I'd get one of the Boss digital delay pedals and the extra footswitch.
You can buy literally every Behringer pedal ever made for the cost of a DD-8/DD-3T plus a footswitch.

If all you are trying to do is make quarter notes into dotted eighth notes, the Behinger pedals provide that capability.

I have also seen a good amount of folks who challenge the quality of the Behinger stuff, and that may be true, but I also see a fair amount of folks who say that they Behinger pedals are perfectly rugged.

I recently purchased a Boss DS-1 and it feels like plastic...

DG_Griffin

Behinger DD600. $19 from Sweetwater (when they aren't sold out).

I just ordered the Compressor/Sustainer from them. They seem to be good pedals for the price.
I don’t believe those are being made anymore. There is currently one on Reverb for $50 though.

I would recommend a Zoom MS50G. Has Tap Tempo and subdivisions. Can also serve as a utility pedal for odd effects you need once in a while.

hallissyc

I don’t believe those are being made anymore. There is currently one on Reverb for $50 though.

I would recommend a Zoom MS50G. Has Tap Tempo and subdivisions. Can also serve as a utility pedal for odd effects you need once in a while.
That explains why you can't get them on SW!

+1 on the Zoom stuff - my son has a G1X Four and it does a nice job of putting everything you need in one small package.

kramm47

Silver Supporting Member
The EHX Canyon is around $150. The tap tempo works great without an external footswitch (DD small factor pedals), the strum tempo of the Flashback (which is straight up terrible), or having to hold to go into tap mode (Flashback II, Digitech Obscura [which, BTW, would otherwise be a nearly perfect small factor delay pedal]. It has about 47 different modes, great options without being overwhelming. It's a lot of bang for buck.

If you want to support a small builder, check out the Wilderness from Native Audio. It might be a touch expensive, but it does all the things you're looking for and you'd support a very cool builder. It also sounds AMAZING. Not as varied as the Canyon, but more isn't always better.

SonicTonic Seeker

You can buy literally every Behringer pedal ever made for the cost of a DD-8/DD-3T plus a footswitch.

I recently purchased a Boss DS-1 and it feels like plastic...
How long have you been using a Behringer pedal for?

I've seen DS1's that looked they were thrown around a garage with silver metal showing through the scrapes and chips on the paint-job..

DG_Griffin

That explains why you can't get them on SW!

+1 on the Zoom stuff - my son has a G1X Four and it does a nice job of putting everything you need in one small package.
Hah, right. I had one that I used at church for a while. It was awesome while it worked. It eventually died. I’m sure using the Foot-switch for tap tempo shorted it’s lifespan. Meanwhile I’ve had their TS for years and it’s still going strong.

brs928

Silver Supporting Member
A used Carbon Copy Deluxe will run you around $160 :aok
If you want cheaper, I would go with a Boss DD-7 with external tap switch.

Cragar

Silver Supporting Member
does the delay have to sound good too? the diamond mljr and counterpoint both can tap dotted 8ths. the empress tape delay too, iirc.

Liko

I want to try tapping quarter notes and having dotted eighth come out but I don’t want to drop $400 on a timeline or whatever. Are there cheaper options? Thanks
There are quite a few that will give you dotted-eighth subdivisions for less than the cost of a Timeline. Off the top of my head:
  • EarthQuaker Devices Avalanche Run
  • MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe
  • Walrus ARP-87
  • Strymon DIG
  • TC Flashback
  • Boss Giga Delay
I own the Avalanche Run, if you're looking for just a delay it's a bit underwhelming for the cost, but as a delay/reverb it's one of the nicest-sounding out there. The TC Flashback is the cheapest in this list unless you find a better than normal deal on the Giga Delay, while in overall value terms the Giga Delay is one of the most underrated delays ever made. The ARP and DIG sound great, have small-ish footprints (the ARP is 1095B-sized, the DIG more like a BB shell), are easy to use and not ridiculously expensive, while the Carbon Copy Deluxe is MXR's iconic bucket-brigade sound updated with the feature set modern delay users demand (including tap/subdiv).

Last edited:

skinvoyager

Silver Supporting Member
Diamond Memory Lane Jr.

It's digital but the delays are voiced somewhere between digital and analog. My favorite delay pedal ever. Has an onboard tap tempo and will do dotted 8ths.

Morpeli

Silver Supporting Member
NUX Konsequent Delay…

Mini pedal
Tap function
True bypass or buffer mode.
Dotted Eigths
$69 on Aliexpress

Trending Topics

Top Bottom