Cheapest way to get a good les paul?

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I’m looking to get a nice playing and sounding gibson les paul for cheap. What would you guys recommend? I don’t care about resale. I don’t care about weight. I want one that plays great and sounds good preferably a standard. I’ve narrowed my search down to these:

1. Les pauls with neck breaks but good repairs
2. Super heavy ones
3. The robo tuner les pauls (didn’t seem well received)

In terms of bang for the buck what do you guys think? Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks!
A LP with a repaired head stock is the way to go. Just make sure the repair was done by a reputable tech, and you you will likely get the major discount. I dont think you will find any deals on heavy LPs. Most guys dont even list the weight, and I dont think anyone would offer anything off just because its heavy. The 2015 LPs can be found for cheap every now and then, but again most guys would have swapped out the robo tuners by now.

wraub

The cheapest way is to not get a Gibson. That aside, pay constant attention to listings and have funds ready for the purchase.

Fatboy666

Silver Supporting Member
pissed off wife having a divorce sale

parent's garage sale while kid is off at college

bad paint job or lots of stickers

depending on how handy you are, there are many opportunities

amstrtatnut

I’m looking to get a nice playing and sounding gibson les paul for cheap. What would you guys recommend? I don’t care about resale. I don’t care about weight. I want one that plays great and sounds good preferably a standard. I’ve narrowed my search down to these:

1. Les pauls with neck breaks but good repairs
2. Super heavy ones
3. The robo tuner les pauls (didn’t seem well received)

In terms of bang for the buck what do you guys think? Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

A used Tradional Pro. Not a Tradional but, Tradionional Pro. I paid 1200 for mine.

Bdub415

How much are you looking to spend?

Probably going to need a combo of all three: broken headstock with repair, frets all worn, and lots of dings and bruises.

Or you can get lucky and find a desperate seller who's on the brink of eviction or need his next drug fix.
Trying to get one under a grand or right around there. You think I can get an old heavy LP custom with vibe or a good used standard for under a grand if they've had a neck break? I'd much rather go that route than say a newer used LP studio that's clean.

theusualdan

Silver Supporting Member
Trying to get one under a grand or right around there. You think I can get an old heavy LP custom with vibe or a good used standard for under a grand if they've had a neck break? I'd much rather go that route than say a newer used LP studio that's clean.
In the before times, prior to all this economic craziness, you might be able to find a black traditional with a headstock break for under a grand. Nowadays... I haven't seen much in that price range. You're looking at about $1200 for a traditional with a headstock repair. As far as an old heavy custom... you'd be hard pressed to find one for under $2k nowadays unless it's an absolute basket case with dealbreaker issues. Your sweet spot is probably going to be the Traditional Pros that have had the crap beaten out of them, and maybe headstock repaired. They're out there if you're patient and diligent. Maybe try throwing up a WTB in the forum with your budget and any deal breaker issues. You might be surprised what's out there lurking.

flare4roach

Don’t sleep on Classics. I’ve got a few and were fantastic deals just in the last year. There are deals out there. Be patient and persistent.

$1600: 93’ Classic Plus
$1400: 18’ Classic Goldtop
$1200: 20’ Classic Lite

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Finding a LP Standard for under $1k is going to be hard to find... Plenty of LP studios to pick from

$800 studio

$800 Tribute

Silverback

Silver Supporting Member
I got a beat up studio from a guy I know that flios guitars. I paid 550. Its my sons guitar.

Those older Studios were IMO some great Les Pauls period. No bling but solid workhorses that sound every inch of what a higher end Paul has. Indistinguishable in the recording studio. (duh! thus the name)

I have not played the recent flock of Studios, so I can't comment on those.

Silverback

Silver Supporting Member
Finding a LP Standard for under $1k is going to be hard to find... Plenty of LP studios to pick from

$800 studio

$800 Tribute

You just had to post that Tribute P90 didn't you! o_O

And a really good price too.

Coopster

Sounds like used Traditional and Classics are the way to go. Thanks guys!
From what I can tell, the Traditionals, more specifically the '17-'19 models, basically became the current Standards excepting maybe year specific pickups and colors. They can be found, or could be found prior to the Great Gear Shortage, for around $1500 give or take. I got mine in late 2019 and my itch for a Standard has been scratched.

GraceToo

The last Norlin era boat anchor weight Custom I saw listed locally was listed for $4000 Canadian. It wasn’t even a clean example — lots of dings and scratches, and I’m pretty sure I could smell the stale cigarette smoke through the computer screen. Everyone’s trying to get a little slice of the inflation pie, so I highly doubt you’ll find a used Custom or Standard for under $1k USD irrespective of condition. Hell, there are folks locally listing used beat up Epiphones for $700-800. It’s nuts.

I got my gibson by trading towards it. I'd suggest that you just get a Tokai or Epi for now and keep saving until you can pick up the guitar you truly want via cash+trade. Playing something close to the specs you want might help you further fine-tune your ideal specs too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom