Cheapest Way to Get Whammy Effect. . .

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ZepFuzz05, Jun 26, 2006.

1. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

What is the least expensive way to get the effect of the Whammy shooting up an octave? And for me, expensive is anything over $100. . .

I am primarily looking at cheap multi-effect units with expression pedals right now, such as the Digitech RP-80 and the Zoom 606. In terms of sound quality and build, which of these is superior?

If there are any other interesting options, please post. . .

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Pitch shifting effects in general are expensive. I find the Boss PS-5 to be superior to the whammy and has better bypass, not to mention cheaper (and doesn't need an exp pedal to do those whammy sounds you described). However, it is a bit more than your desired price.

I say you put that hundred bucks in savings somewhere and wait a lil longer for a PS-5.

3. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

I would say find yourself a used Digitech XP100. They can be had for around $100, though I have seen a Reissue sell for a little over a $100 as well. And like Moe said, the Boss PS series is good too if you find one within your budget since you would also need an expression pedal (I am assuming you would want that, right?) But if you are going the ultra cheap multi fx style, go with the RP80 over the Zoom. The tracking was much better. But remember that the Digitech is made out of light feeling plastic and the pedal is really small, so the feel is definitely a little weird.

4. ZepFuzz05

Thanks. The only issue I have with other multi-effect units is the size and price. I want something that is comparable in size to an actual whammy or smaller. I had offers for big, metal, nice multi-effect units for about 100, but I don't want a second pedalboard just for one effect. Something in the realm of an RP200 is about the biggest I would go.

I would like to do something like a Boss Pitch Shifter with an expression pedal, but I am not going to spend $150-200 on a whammy effect (I still need to get me some reverb and tremelo. . .) I want something that will simply work and sound decent for under $100.

Those two units in particular (the Digitech rp80 and Zoom 606) fit in terms of size and price. And the plastic is not a terribly large concern. As long as the expression pedal holds up, it is fine. I just want to know which is better in sound quality.

5. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Zoom has a newer unit out called the G2.
    Hook up an expression pedal and you have it.
    It's actually a great little unit that you can use live or direct.
    It's $99 and I'm sure you could get one cheaper.
    The harmonizer/pitch shift in it is actually excellent.
    They have an upgraded version called the G2 1U that has a built in expression pedal.
    I'm sure you could snag one on the bay for $100
    Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ZepFuzz05

The Zoom G2 looks like a great solution to the problem, but it is too expensive, to get the unit with an expression pedal puts it near $170. To get the unit without an expression pedal and to add one on there is going to be almost as much. The true holds the same for a lot of other units.

For the price, I think I am stuck with the RP80 or the 606, which is fine. I just want to get some opinions on which has better sound quality for my uses. Anybody else use either of these?

7. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Have you ever heard of a website called Ebay?????
    :D:D:D:D
    I've seen the ones with expression pedals go for as low as $85.
    I paid $100 for one from GC, returned item....
    Steve

8. Electric I

Electric I Member

I second the the used G2.1 unit.

And with it's all-in-one-ness, it'd do in a pinch if a given amp went down during a show...

9. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

I know that the whammy is big but how does the Zoom compare in size? and wouldnt the boss be better anyway as its small, cheap(er) and ready to rock. I know that a band i follow the guitarist started with the whammy and has changed now to the Boos PS-5. And he still sounds great

Aj