Cheapo .... and question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by indytruckboy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

So, if some of you don't know, I work for a trash company. Don't laugh:nono, I am a heavy diesel tech for a $9billion dollar company. And my pay and benefits reflect that.

ANYWAY... Me and a slinger have a gentleman's deal. You find some type of musical instrument (you would be surprised what people throw away), no matter what it is, bring it to me. I got cash.

So he calls me on the radio and says he has a guitar. :dude I get my hopes up. He gets back to the yard. The bag is spotless. Open it up.........

$100 Behringer strat copy. :cry: I give him $10 and he is happy. I bring the sucker home. It is pretty much new condition. I suppose a kid played Guitar Hero, thought it was easy, and had wise parents that got a cheapy to shut him up long enough for him to realize it's gonna take some work.

I can definitely tell through the paint it's plywood. The neck isn't to bad I suppose. I thought about restringing and keeping it hung up in the toolbox as a beater for work.

What do you think I should do with it? Throw some cheap but decent pups in it and leave it lay around? Smash it at one of my bands metalcore shows? Install some type of effect pedal in it?

Let me hear what you got. Nothing off the wall will suprise me.

*****NOTE*****
    the author knows this is a piece of poop guitar and has various top shelf guitars already

2. jaycee

jaycee Member

If you can get away with playing it at work, by all means. I wish i could. Other than that i wouldn't put a cent into it besides new strings. Either play it at work or hang it up in your basement or something.

3. enocaster

enocaster Member

Give it to a poor kid who loves music.

4. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

Both great posts.

I thought about maybe finding some 'name' pups on ebay or craigslist for cheap. Who knows? Maybe the pups are 'liveable'.

(I can run the guitar at work through my laptop. I have speakers attached to the inside of the box for my MP3 player. I could noodle at lunch or smoke break. Plus my boss is a guitar nut, too.)

5. chucke99

chucke99 Member

+1

Great for the lucky kid, great for how you'll feel inside.

6. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

+2 :dude

7. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Donate it to a local music program from kids.

8. airwarrior

airwarrior Member

It sounds as if you're just kinda bored.

I toot think you should donate it to either a kid who wants to learn but doesn't have the means, or a music program. That will give you much more satisfaction than keeping it will.

9. phantasm

phantasm Member

Great gift for a neighborhood kid.
    Pass it on, you'll find more!

10. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

Sounds good, but I am still gonna throw some stuff at it and make it a better player. You have to give the kids a nice player if you want them to stay interested. I'll throw some pics up as I go I suppose.

11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member