Check my Stomp math.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
U7FNcYv.png

If I wanted to use a traditional guitar amp with the Stomp; this should work, right?

GR55 Guitar out--->amp input.
Amp send--->Stomp Input
GR55 Synth out--->Stomp Return L
Stomp Send L--->Amp's fx return
Amp's line out (without baked cab emulation)--->Stomp Return R--->Stomp Main L/R--->FOH

This would allow me to use an amp with post FX from the stomp as well as send a feed to FOH. I am assuming most amps with a line out would be at a level that could be managable at the board, level wise. Otherwise I could set the volume knob on the Stomp to control the Main L/R volume. This should work. Right? I don't need anyone to break down the synth aspect of my chain; I just need to know if the signal routing on the output ends will work without weird phase or mono vs stereo issues.

Edited for tagging @phil_m

Last edited:

Mac70

Is the Amp's Line Out after the FX loop of the amp?
If so, there can be a phase issue if you don't set Return_R Mix to 0%.
Mixing the same signal through more ADC/DAC stages will create a phase shift.

Why use "Amp's line out" anyway, just use the same "Amp send" signal into the IR?

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Is the Amp's Line Out after the FX loop of the amp?
If so, there can be a phase issue if you don't set Return_R Mix to 0%.
Mixing the same signal through more DAC stages will create a phase shift.
Thank you sir. Generally speaking it would be. In most normal designs. What would happen is I engage Return L with exp and it would disengage the Return R (and IR, if necessary) and pass giutar synth signal to FOH and stage amp. Return L is normally disengaged until synth engaged.

Mac70

I engage Return L with exp and it would disengage the Return R (and IR, if necessary)

Disengage = Bypass?
Bypassing Return_L will remove the wet synth signal, but how does it disengage (bypass?) Return_R?
What is the 'Mix' on Return_L?

Now I'm thoroughly confused.

Alex Kenivel

Looks good, I'd bump that mix % up to 100. I'm wondering why you're not using the main inputs. My brains wants to do it with less blocks so I'd want to use the main inputs, split the signal first, and get rid of the two return and one volume block, assigning my EXP to the Route To parameter to shift between guitar/synth - but I bet there's more to the story?

mbenigni

What amp are we talking about, and how is its line out implemented? I feel like the use of amp line out and amp fx send is borderline redundant, unless it’s crucial that your post FX are applied before/without power amp coloration? (Again, depending on what that line out is actually sending.)

And yeah, Laxu’s question is the big one. IIRC, the Stomp can’t run two fully independent paths, each with its own input and output. But I could be wrong?

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Ya'll act like you haven't seen a JiveTurkey Thread™ before :waiting:nono:rotflmao

Disengage = Bypass?
Bypassing Return_L will remove the wet synth signal, but how does it disengage (bypass?) Return_R?
What is the 'Mix' on Return_L?

Now I'm thoroughly confused.
Stomp Return L is activated via Exp2. Stomp Return R control is the inverse of this. So when the Return L is active, Return R is bypassed and synths are going through the feed to my stage monitor (which is an amp) and to FOH. When Return L is not active; Return R is active and any of the fx before this and cab emulation is going to FOH. Any of the fx before this split will be also be running WITHOUT CAB EMULATION to the return of whatever amp I am using.
Looks good, I'd bump that mix % up to 100. I'm wondering why you're not using the main inputs. My brains wants to do it with less blocks so I'd want to use the main inputs, split the signal first, and get rid of the two return and one volume block, assigning my EXP to the Route To parameter to shift between guitar/synth - but I bet there's more to the story?
I am using the Main input for the send coming from the guitar amp.
What amp are we talking about, and how is its line out implemented? I feel like the use of amp line out and amp fx send is borderline redundant, unless it’s crucial that your post FX are applied before/without power amp coloration? (Again, depending on what that line out is actually sending.)

And yeah, Laxu’s question is the big one. IIRC, the Stomp can’t run two fully independent paths, each with its own input and output. But I could be wrong?
Number of "likely candidates". I am ignoring acoustic guitars through a T75 speaker concerns I normally have and just going for it, conceptually. Using the fx send feed of an amp is going to bypass any positive effects the power amp might provide for the FOH feed. Ignoring the fact that I LIVE for preamp gain and could less than zero ****s about power amp gain :anon

mbenigni

OK, so… it’s not super intuitive.

Given that both of your proposed inputs are mono, I think this is doable. You’d set the input (there’s only one) to Main L/R, then immediately split to a B path with a Return L/R block on it. Process your A and B paths with additional blocks as needed, then take care to keep each path merged hard left/right at the merge point, just before the (one) output to Main L/R.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
OK, so… it’s not super intuitive.

Given that both of your proposed inputs are mono, I think this is doable. You’d set the input (there’s only one) to Main L/R, then immediately split to a B path with a Return L/R block on it. Process your A and B paths with additional blocks as needed, then take care to keep each path merged hard left/right at the merge point, just before the (one) output to Main L/R.
137 Simple Steps!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Why not amp in 1 loop (4cm) and the synth in the other loop?
The limited signal chain real estate of the Stomp. I shouldn't say limited but the way my guitar chain goes as well as my synth stuff. It is an either or thing; but I don't know if there is enough blocks on the Stomp to accommodate all of it if I set it up that way.

Mac70

Stomp Return L is activated via Exp2. Stomp Return R control is the inverse of this. So when the Return L is active, Return R is bypassed and synths are going through the feed to my stage monitor (which is an amp) and to FOH. When Return L is not active; Return R is active and any of the fx before this and cab emulation is going to FOH. Any of the fx before this split will be also be running WITHOUT CAB EMULATION to the return of whatever amp I am using.
Okay, I assume that Retrun_L Mix is at 0% so you are switching between Preamp (Amp Send) and GT55 Synth with Exp2.

I still don't understand why you need Return_R at all, you already feeding the Amp's Preamp to FOH when Retrun_L is bypassed.

Why do you mix "Amp Send" + "Amp Line Out" at 50% for FOH?
Isn't "Amp Send" enough for your core tone if you only care about the Preamp tone?

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Okay, I assume that Retrun_L Mix is at 0% so you are switching between Preamp (Amp Send) and GT55 Synth with Exp2.

I still don't understand why you need Return_R at all, you already feeding the Amp's Preamp to FOH when Retrun_L is bypassed.

Why do you mix "Amp Send" + "Amp Line Out" at 50% for FOH?
Isn't "Amp Send" enough for your core tone if you only care about the Preamp tone?
I should have taken a screenshot of the return block that is set up correctly. I fixed the Return R mix level. For me; the exercise was more about the best way to route the audio. I fixed the mix level on the highlighted block.

Return_R is need to get the line from the FULL amp, not just a preamp send. When I say line out from an amp; I don't mean a slave line from a preamp. I mean an amp that has a headphone/xlr/FULL AMP line out. If whatever amp in quesiton has baked in cab emulation; I will just eliminate the IR block from that FOH path.

Mac70

I should have taken a screenshot of the return block that is set up correctly. I fixed the Return R mix level.
I still see 50% in the image, I assume you fixed it to 0%.

Return_R is need to get the line from the FULL amp,
Yes, I understand, poweramp coloration, presence, amps's built in effects, etc.

Okay, if both Returns L/R set to Mix 0% it will works just fine, there will be no phase issues.
I also can't think of a more efficient way to do it, all looks good.

6500563205bba6df2eb5e85883ac098a.jpg

Top Bottom