Check Out Fulltone's New MDV-2 Vibe: Awesome!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny McShine, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

http://www.fulltone.com/mdv2-more.asp

I had a Deja 2 and Mike knows the authentic tone. I like this one a lot! Real estate was the issue with the Deja 2; this seems to solve that problem nicely.

Incidentally, the treadle is really cool to have on a vibe because you can ramp up like a Leslie for parts.

2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Is this one replacing the Deja 2? I don't think I'd like it switching on at max speed, but the other method he describes might accidentally turn it off-I don't use the slowest speed anyway though-I have a Mini Deja. I just don't know that I'd want to have to adjust the speed to find my favorite setting every time I turn it on though. Cool for space savings though-the reason I didn't get the Deja 2 in the first place.

3. Craise

Craise Member

Wow! Someone put their thinking cap on! Nice!
    Gas me up!
    ;)
    any info on the SS tte???

4. albuht813

albuht813 Member

i've gotta have me one of these.

5. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Love the look of this.

Re: the treadle on/off issue.

I had a Boss PW 10 that I used a few years ago as a vibe [now have a Mojo Vibe]which you switched on by pushing the treadle forward. You then had to find your sweet spot regarding speed if you werent using it as an expression pedal all the time. This wasn't ideal. An external switch - separate from the treadle, is the answer, but where to put it? The side is one answer, but then you are going back into the old DJ2 territory.
    I used my PW10 in a looper, but it would be a shame to do that to this one. That's the only bugbear I can see.

As I said though, it looks fabulous

6. Kleftys666

Kleftys666 Member

ME TOO!! But i think this baby will be $400+ .....

7. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

$295, it's on the products page.

8. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I think I need one of these.....

9. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Years ago I had a Dunlop Roto-Vibe on my pedalboard. It's in a crybaby housing with the toe switch just like a wah. The thing I hated about this arrangement was when you turn it on it's at full speed so you always got this extreme warble at first until you back off the rocker pedal. I'm thrilled that after 35 years someone is FINALLY making a Uni-Vibe ergonomically the same as the originals!
    FWIW, Mike has always been super nice to me over the years. I never understood why a lot of guys have problems with him.

10. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I had the Deja 2 and the switch is on the plate to the left of the pedal so that's available right now if you want it. I found that it was pretty easy to position the pedal wherever you wanted it too. The point is that you likely don't need the treadle if you have a sweet spot.

11. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I've heard that Mike never sleeps and his mind is like a giant super computer constantly churning out new ideas and great tone. ;-)

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

why is this so great?

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

I think there's a discussion of having the switch at the heel of the pedal instead of the toe like a wah. That way it will start at it's slowest speed. I dig it.

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

Will this sound any different than Fulltone's Mini Deja Vibe?

15. vintage66

vintage66 Member

That sounds like a better option, but still a seperate switch would be better if it could be worked out. You can actually vote on the Fulltone website which you want him to make-toe on or heal on.

16. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Are you a vibe fan?

• Small footprint for a unit with the treadle.
    • Original circuit gives the authentic sound.
    • Built really well; uses components that Mike has custom made.
    • True bypass.
    • 9VDC instead of the Deja 2's 120VAC.
    You could also read his web page on it. He's not BS'ing.

17. jzucker

Having owned the aquavibe, dejavibe, dejavibe 2, mojovibe, ultravibe, microvibe and now the megavibe you could say so... ;)

I did read the page a week or two ago. I guess I don't see the big deal with having a pedal built in when the big knob works fine for me... It's funny that everyone claims they're using the original circuit but they're all sort of different from each other.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  18. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Nothing Funny/Peculiar/misleading about that at all. Dave,Kevin,Bob,Mike,etc all own or have worked on many Univibes/Vibrachorus pedals..Very rare to find any two that sound and perform exactly the same.And the funny thing about is when someone does spec the pedal as per new,most folks don't like it as much as brand A or B..Chances are every pedal builder I mentioned probably owns all the others vibes too and they all get a good laugh out of folks saying one is better than the other.Univibe is not a sound,it is a flavor.

19. jzucker

Definitely not me. I've always wondered why you'd need the pedal when you can easily change the speed knob with your foot. However, not being a "real" hendrix/trower guy, maybe I'm not the best judge...

Agreed. Anyway, fulltone make great stuff and I'm sure the pedal will be fabulous but if the only diff is the pedal, I just wondered why folks were so excited?

20. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

\Are you referring to this?

05-08-2008, 09:19 PM
    jzucker [​IMG]
    Gold Supporting Member

The TRex Viper is kind of what you're describing. What would be cool would be for someone to design a small pedal that has the rocker built in. This would pave the way for a smaller vintage wah pedal. I wish someone had the courage to make it. Once the housing issues were worked out there are all kinds of pedals you could build the expression part into.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ocean [​IMG]
    So I'm thinking about adding a vibe pedal to my line but here's the thing...

I don't want to just offer another straight up UniVibe clone. There are several VERY good options out there already. What I'm wondering is, if there would be much interest for a smaller footprint pedal that came real close to the Vibe tone but was not an actual vibe. There are a couple of pedals out like this already, but none of them, that I'm aware of, have the same control options of the original Vibe. This would be a small pedal (125-B size), with intensity, speed, and a chorus/vibrato toggle. Maybe even an expression pedal jack. It would operate on 9 volts, too. I guess the target audience is the players who don't necessarily need the mystique of the original circuit and would be more than happy with a small footprint, vibe-ish sound for a few songs here and there.

Any thoughts? Violent objections?