Check out my design for a guitar that I'm having built...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DannyTolchiner, Jan 22, 2012.

1. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

I'm meeting with the luthier this weekend. Any suggestions? (I realize it doesn't have knobs...still deciding on that part)

[​IMG]

2. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty much a Strat/Tele traditionalist, but I like it. It has great proportions. I think that I'd move the neck pickup a little closer to the bridge, but I don't know why.

3. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

Thanks! I agree about the space inbetween the bringe and the bridge pickup.

4. josuwa

josuwa Member

Piezzo, if you're in to that... The upper horn looks VERY big as well. But cool design! :D

5. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

I like it a lot. Kinda like a Baker but much nicer. The headstock and the bridge are very nice too.

http://www.bakerguitars.com/

Looks like something Kurt Rosenwinkel would love.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. guitarsenal

guitarsenal Silver Supporting Member

Very cool fretboard inlay, but doesn't that belong on the 18th fret?

7. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

The big horn looks a bit out of balance (size wise), too big too me visually.

Not sure how that affects the balance (weight distribution, how it hangs on a strap) etc.

There are reasons for time tested designs.

8. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Why are you asking people you've never met on advice about your personal custom guitar?

We might steer you in the wrong direction....build what YOU want, not what the Internet tells you

9. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

It looks good but.......I think a stop tailpiece might be more versatile, if there's a center block.

And maybe a few variations in the drawing where the upper horn gets progressively smaller- just to see if you like it better.

The F Holes look very cool to me and the overall shape is very nice especially when you balance that upper horn more ( IMO ).

10. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

man, there's some luthier and i've seen his name and work on here who makes a guitar VERY similar to that right now! ugh. i can't think of his name.

11. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

The upper neck access looks really appealing but it could suffer from the same tendency to hinge at the neck joint like early SGs.

Maybe make the neck pickup a thin, floating jazz pickup so as to allow the neck tenon to be more ruggedly mounted, and avoid a big, stress-concentrating notch in the structure right at the base of the neck.

Or if you want to go radical, make it like the 70s "transmit neck" Aria semi-hollow guitars - instead of a neck glued to a separate center block, have it be a through-neck that extends to the tail. You could even float an arched top and back around a concealed through-neck.

12. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

I'd definitely make the upper horn much smaller. Other than that, looks cool.

13. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Might the headstock be a little long? If there was a little less space (just a little) both below and above the tuners it would remove some mass form the headstock & maybe look a little better & balance a little better. That way you could shorten the upper horn by a fret or 2 & still (hopefully) have it balance well. (I HATE head heavy guitars- hence all the concern for balance).
    Very nice overall.

14. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

This is a very interesting suggestion.

15. asintoras

asintoras Member

I think guitarists are WAY too conservative.
    The headstock is not really big. Think about the Gibson Super400 headstock... that's a BIG headstock!!

Also, I don't see any problem with that upper horn. I have seen so many guitar basses with upper horns in that proportion and they look and work just fine (Ric 4001, among many other modern designs)!

I like your design as is, but the distance between your tuners is not equal.

Please, keep us posted about your progress and cost. I am looking forward to see how this will end.

Good luck!

16. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I think the upper horn is great

If it were up to me, I would probably make the sound holes smaller, same proportions just smaller - nothing mars an otherwise nice guitar more than having too big f-holes

I'd go with the pickups far apart, even stress that with using P90s or single coils, or get a hold of some Rickenbacker Pups or DeArmonds - if possible the neck-through would help and add resonance too.

I think the far apart pups and smaller F-holes would let the guitar keep its good overall feeling of balance and symmetry (which really is well done considering how drastic the sweeps are, balanced such that it doesn't get all 'pointy') that feels modern while also having a touch of the vintage to it - that would match the vintage feeling trapeze.

( I would put in a Bigsby B7 or a Gibson or custom whammy - but that's just my need to have one on all my guitars, even my Rick 360v64)

17. Grenville

Grenville Member

I like the upper horn, looks great.

Very nice design, the only thing I can see is the distance between machine heads, as someone has pointed out.

18. Jdobson

Jdobson Member

Ugh. These posts get old. ITS A GUITAR FORUM!!! Thats why.

Great design!! Love the inlay on the fretboard.

19. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

I would also round out the sharp end on the headstock a bit. You might not want a small piece of headstock sticking out very far. That's just asking to be snapped off if it bumps into something hard enough.

20. kak1154

kak1154 Member

Cool design, looks similar to a Languedoc. I think the upper horn looks a little too big, but it might help with balance, because it seems like this axe will be neck-heavy. If it were me, I'd bury the neck into the body a few more frets (moving the neck pickup along, obviously) and shorten the upper horn.

I also think the lower bout is a little bit pointy, maybe round off those peaks just a tad. Headstock is cool, but very similar to an Olson.

I'm not feeling those tuners. The vintage green keystones don't seem to fit with anything else on the guitar.

I would make the tailpiece the same wood as the headstock. Either ebony/ebony or rosewood/rosewood.

Just my thoughts, take it or leave it. In the end, build whatever you like!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012