Check out my most ambitious build yet!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by B Bent, Sep 26, 2006.

1. B Bent

B Bent Supporting Member

I was in the local electronics store one day when I saw this Hammond box that inspired me. I used to have a Visual Sound H20 Chorus/Delay. I thought to myself why not make my own Chorus/Delay with a BYOC kit?? The more I thought about it the more ambitious I got. I started thinking how nice it would be to have a grab n go box with all of my favorite effects. Well 3 weeks later I present to you "Four on the Floor" It is a combination of my most used/favorite effects. From right to left I have a BYOC Screamer, Chorus, Tremelo and Delay! The thing sounds amazing and looks better than my skills should have ever allowed.

This is my disclaimer: I was very ambitious about this project, but right at the end I ran out of gas. You'll notice that the knobs are not labled because I know what they are and don't really care to spend any more time. This was a blast to build, but there again towards the end I got burned out. The pedal sounds great and works better than I thought it would. My wiring is somewhat sloppy, but given that I had no more room I don't really care. Can yall tell I am pooped after this one? I even gouged the paint really hard in 2 or 3 places :smack: I was really upset about that!

It really did turn out better than my skills should allow so I am happy! Now I have an all in one analog effects Grab-n-go box for small gigs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Thats good stuff. I wish I had something that simple.

3. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

VERY cool man! I'll take it! Wait... what do you mean it's not for sale?! :puh :jo That would be a cool kit if they sold completed ones still! :AOK

4. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Cool idea!! I like it.

jeffhef

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Great idea! And nice job! Really!
    Just wondering why there are only three sets of "in/out"
    jacks, when there are four pedals...are chorus and trem combined or something?

I know you aren't in the mood maybe (or maybe have already done it?) to think about modding it, but IF you used stereo jacks in there I think you could "normalize" (like a patch bay does) so that with only one guitar cable in, and one out they would normally, internally connect all pedals together...and if you wanted to reorder their order, or add some pedal in between it would break the connection and send it out via an "input/output" pair?

Just wondering...like I said, beautiful job, and GREAT idea! Kudos!!

(edited to add...now I see the main in and outputs on the sides!)

6. rabbit

rabbit Member

If you ask me, I would even prefer the knobs unlabeled, it looks great as it is! I wish I could build something like that myself...

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

How does it get power?

8. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

That looks great, man- job well done! I'd like to develop the skill to do something like that myself; I just recently started soldering.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

First off that is way cool! and I like the font used.
    I see an in and out on the sides .. i don't see a power.
    I guess I am just wondering, how come you didn't daisy chain the effects internally? Did you want to be able to change the order or just run them as separate effects or some other reason?

10. B Bent

B Bent Supporting Member

There is an "in" on the far right side and an "out" on the far left that you can't see. I did the multiple ins/outs on purpose so I could swap the order if I ever wanted to.

via 2 9v inputs. I decided to do 2 since I know there would be no problem running 2 off of 1 source. I was a little worried about running 4 pedals off of 1 jack! It works great.

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

Ahh, I think I can see a power tap next to the input in the internal shot. So, you have two 9v taps on the side there? Could you have used one 18v supply?

I've LONG desired a simple stompbox that could do delay and trem. Probably 2 footswitches, but 3 would be ideal--1 for a quick slapback/reverb effect, 1 for a longer delay and one for trem. I don't think it'll happen unless I build it and I have no idea what I'm doing!

12. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I count two power taps as well... I think it could have been done with one and just daisey chain the power internally?

Great looking and I bet it sounds just as good!

13. mustangman

mustangman Member

very cool idea! makes me want to do the same. GAS..... :jo

14. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

15. indytone

indytone Member

16. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

17. bduguay

bduguay Member

I'm a member at the DIYstompbox forum and I'd bet if you posted those pics over there, they'd erect a statue in your honour!
    Wicked AND Decent!
    B.

18. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Can you put the chorus in the loop of the delay so the repeats are chorused? :RoCkIn

19. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    That's almost a homemade Carl Martin Quattro!

I might have follow in your footsteps and do the same....if only I can get my damn BYOC Tremelo to work! :jo

20. B Bent

B Bent Supporting Member

Here are some pics of the killer LEDs I used! The pic is fuzzy, but you can at least get the point!!

[​IMG]