Check out my new pedal in "Mint" Condition

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HiddenAgenda, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Yeah, I was trying to figure why a "new" pedal sells for $129 all day/every day while a "used" one sells for $200 and up.

So, how much better does it sound than my 15 year old Digi-Tech Bad Monkey?

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  2. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

Pedal costs $129 brand new... person buys it, plays it for long period of time, attempts to sell it for $200...

Greed: selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.

Make sense now?

One is necessary to survive in many parts of the world. The other is not necessary in any case.

One is an asset, the other is a toy...

There's a lot of reasons why the marketplace for selling a House is different than selling an Effect Pedal.

3. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

You still didn't explain the difference in how price is determined. I am willing to learn, help a TGP brotha!

4. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

I'm not going to lecture you on how prices are determined to deny your stupid comparison of a guitar pedal to a house.
    It's a ridiculous comparison

5. kwicked

Humor me! In a quick sentence, what is the difference in how the prices are determined?

6. Snail

Snail Member

We take gear seriously around here!!!

:mad:

7. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Not an honest deal. perhaps appeal to the guy for a slight refund. If he balks...inform the venue which hosted the transaction. id ask for 40$ off. BTw: does it sound good?

8. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey - sorry I don't have time to read through all of these but am curious what the outcome of this was/is? As someone who buys & sells a lot of gear (just a hobby) since 1998 this crap piss's me off! Even as a hobby I enjoy it's far from as much fun as it used to be but I still enjoy it & work hard to describe everything accurately , provide clear pics & meticulously pack my stuff for shipping. Way over 1,000 listed transactions so easily over 2,000 done & I've never had any real problems. This pedal is not even in the loosest meaning of the word 'mint'?!?

I usually don't sell stuff like this but if I did I would have taken the velcro off , cleaned it up as best I could , STILL mention it & list it probably as excellent at the highest. Hopefully whoever you bought it from took immediate care of it , didn't cause you major stress & you're happy in the end!

Fat tone79 likes this.
  9. bt2513

bt2513 Member

There actually exists appraisors and there are actual licenses they are required to maintain to opine on the value of a home and anyone capable of fogging a mirror can list a price on Reverb? That seems like a significant difference.

In all seriousness, I've noticed a lot of Mint condition pedals out there with velcro, dust and dirt. I don't get it. Just state that its in great condition just dusty (because of unuse?... which might be a good thing). Does anyone actually sort by "mint" when looking at these things?

10. Snoopydogg

Snoopydogg Member

The pedal under discussion in this thread is a Tim, Timmy’s bigger, older brother with an effects loop. You can purchase a new Timmy for $129, but the Tim has been out of production for years.

josephpnorman and MilwMark like this.
  11. kwicked

Extremely good point, lol. And the OP was pissed about the condition after it being described as mint, as i would be.

12. kwicked

Here's to you for being smart. The guys that say "as long as it sounds good, just plug it in and don't worry, bro" are missing a big, simple piece of the puzzle.

13. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

If everyone collectively refused to buy pedals that don't have top and bottom pictures (at minimum), sellers couldn't get away with this.

14. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

Current status is return accepted. The seller has good communication and seems decent enough saying the condition selection was an error. That's actually a reasonable explanation, I've caught myself making that mistake before.

I realize there's a good chance the seller could be on this thread and while everything is cool (but transaction not complete):eek:
    He's going to continue to have problems if significant condition issues are not highlighted in pictures and text. Maybe it's just an unfortunate mistake but as people have pointed out $230 is an okay deal for a pedal in this condition so makes me wonder a bit.

For the okay deal, I'll lose $20 bucks after Reverb fee's and shipping if I want to sell that for something else down the road.

15. Jay K

Jay K Member

It seems many sellers on Reverb do not bother to read nor follow the definition of "mint" on the website. The most glaring example was during the CME Gibson Floor Model blowouts, where CME (owned by the same person or entity as Reverb) advertised the guitars as "mint" in the title line, but then stated in the description " Product may be subject to minor aesthetic imperfections from the Gibson factory or light wear . . . ."

Not only does an imperfection of any sort disqualify an item from being "mint," the Reverb website additionally states "For something to truly be mint, it needs to be just shy of Brand New. Mint items should include the original packaging in most cases. . . . "

It would be nice if all sellers on Reverb followed these rules, but it would be even nicer if Reverb's sister company, CME, set the example by doing so as well, or at least not violating them so blatantly.

16. 22Top

22Top Member

****** buzz about the liberties taken with the condition of the listing.

I bought my Tim in ‘09 and it has that finish on it: look at it too long and it chips.

That Velcro is super gross tho.