1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Check out my Tele build

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I wanted a Tele as of late. The specs I like are way expensive so I decided to try building another Tele. The last one wasn't without a few mistakes so I like to think I learned from them. No major issues with the paint on this one. I used Reranch Nitro. This time I warmed the cans up first. The nitro flowed so much better. Also let it sit for a couple months. The finish harded up way more than the week I gave the last one. I tinted the neck but it looked too fake so I stripped it off (steel wool) and just lacquered it.

The neck is another Allparts TMO-FAT. This one I reshaped to the 10/56 spec of my '56 Relic Strat. Its close, that took forever. The body is Swamp Ash from Warmoth. It has a mix of Callaham parts (not the bridge or control plate, too much $) and Fender, Barden Bridge, Duncan Antiquity Pickups. I don't have strings on it yet. I need to have a nut installed. I'd like to do it myself but I'm too cheap to buy the files. Without strings she weighs 6 lbs 14 oz. I wired it with a 4-way. This is my first time trying that. Used all cloth wire. What a PITA.

All in all it was a fun winter project. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. cheetah77

cheetah77 Supporting Member

That looks real nice! Does that body have the router hump?

3. Killcrop

Its the Vintage style Warmoth so I think it does.

4. terrapin

terrapin Member

5. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Thats pretty nice and encouraging to see the low weight using the swamp ash.
    I've been thinking about doing a warmoth tele myself using swamp ash for the body but toying with the idea of a semi opaque satin sonic blue finish so you can see the grain through the finish as on the mary kay finish.

6. brian817

brian817 Member

Looks nice!
    Just wondering, why put the Fender logo on it? Just for preference or looks or?

I've built 3 guitars now, a Tele Plus, a Strat Plus, and a '51 Baritone, and I've never felt the need to put a Fender logo on them. I like them being known as customs or partscasters. I have 4 more Tele projects I'm working on building and won't put logos on those either.

7. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Electrosocket jack?

8. Wake911

Wake911 Member

Speaking for myself, Who cares. Some people want the look of a fender logo, some people don't. I've built 2, and one i put a label on, one i didn't. just felt right on each one to do it that way.

9. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Nice job! I love the single ply 5 hole pickguard.

10. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Very nicely done, dude!

Congrats & enjoy! :drink

11. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

great looking paint job - I really like the look of this!

12. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

Love your build! Look forward to your review of how it sounds

13. Killcrop

I have had this Tele for almost a year. Really sounds great and is balanced very nice. I may try to take the neck down a bit. Its a little bigger than I wanted. Its fun to play and looks cool as hell so I am happy. This was a worthwhile build.

[​IMG]