Check Out Pandoras Plush New Office Space

Promit

Please. Pandora is the farthest things from artists' minds or paychecks. Labels are sucking up all the cash from both parties. Don't pretend like these newfangled internet companies are hurting the poor little artists. That is bull.

Route234

How? They are losing money.
I dont care "how" and why should I? If your business model is to pay as little as humanly possible for your content and you still cant make $ then that says it all doesnt it? They are never going to make $ and IMO they never planned on making $. Its the classic IPO money grab.

They also are NOT losing $ because of the royalties they are paying. One look at that office tells you why they are losing $.

Route234

How does this business model work?
Unless you are asleep at the wheel you have seen this A LOT in the past 20 years or so:

- Play up an idea, get backers to give you $
- Promise profits and get a bunch of people to invest more $ in your company by buying stock
- You get a major windfall of $ on the stock and then you never turn a profit and you go bankrupt then all the major first line of investors still walk away rich as hell

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Unless you are asleep at the wheel you have seen this A LOT in the past 20 years or so:

- Play up an idea, get backers to give you $
- Promise profits and get a bunch of people to invest more $ in your company by buying stock
- You get a major windfall of $ on the stock and then you never turn a profit and you go bankrupt then all the major first line of investors still walk away rich as hell
I see.

Which companies have pulled this off in the last 20 years? I'm sure there must be plenty of examples.

taez555

Pandora is the farthest things from artists' minds or paychecks.
Paychecks definitely, but I don't know a single independent artist who doesn't have a strong opinion on Pandora and other streaming services.

aram

Paychecks definitely, but I don't know a single independent artist who doesn't have a strong opinion on Pandora and other streaming services.
Exactly, and this is why I think these photos are resonating so much with artists I know. Pandora fought to have royalty rates lowered, claiming it was the only way to make their business model profitable. Yet these photos show a very different story. There's money being made, but it's not going into the pockets of the creators.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
The original lobby design had a fountain with a statue of the CEO walking over and urinating on musicians while laughing maniacally. :)

In the end they decided it might be a bit tacky.
of course, the attitude so well-expressed by that original design is more than amply maintained by Pandora's actions as a business.

splatt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Pandora ever turned a profit? Seems to me the model doesn't work as it is.
while the company as a whole hasn't proven profitable, some involved with Pandora have surely & distinctly made tremendous fortune$.

splatt

I was listening to a Pandora station the other day when an amazing cover of I Still Miss Someone by Darrell Scott came on.

I instantly went to Itunes and bought the album.

This happens more than the "Haterz" of Pandora want to believe.
but, well..... it happens less than matters.
{..... & afaict, "beliefs" aren't a key factor, here.}

counted along with the effects of other similar businesses (based on minimally "legalising" what was originally initiated by folks clearly named & seen as "pirates"),
Pandora's impact on music-making has been, to date, primarily negative.....
much more so than some Fanbois seem to "believe".

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Exactly, and this is why I think these photos are resonating so much with artists I know.
Artists tend to be emotional and looking and pictures and getting righteously indignant is an emotional reaction.

It doesn't mean the company has oodles of money to throw around, as some are taking it to mean.

If Pandora doesn't turn a profit soon, it will be toast and artists will lose a valuable way of getting their songs heard and purchased by audiences.

How exactly does Pandora hurt artists, btw?

You can't get specific songs on Pandora, only stations. So even if they paid the artist nothing, how does that hurt them when it increases their audience who can then later purchase something?

splatt

holy mary, mother of g-d.

time to relieve some gas, maybe?

some very vocal musicians may be capable of admitting & expressing emotions
--- hell, for myself? i'm a composer and a musician, after all ---
but the implication that such capabilities might necessarily or always cloud or taint the judgment of musicians as a group is a cheap & absolutely, shittily disrespectful one.

for example:
i'm a normal, if highly motivated, individual.
i "own & operate a successful business", as it were; no hand-outs are sought.
i've successfully raised a few new contributors to society, without the assistance of social welfare: 2.5x university level educations & health-care w/o benefit of gov't assistance at all & etc.
i pay my taxes, which's not at all insubstantial.
i am fully capable of safely driving different classes of moving vehicles.
i am allowed to fire certain classes of guns.
i can, and do, vote, and engage with local government.
i am both allowed & invited to teach at University levels, and to professionals.

JimmyB

Gold Supporting Member
Plush? Sort of. Cool? Nope.

they call it Workspace 2.0 where i work. It's kinda like Ikea and Apple had a baby.
That's a great analogy for how awful it looks, and how awful it must be to work there! :(

Actually, looking at it, I can't imagine how any actual 'work' gets done. :nuts

phil_m

How did this get here? I'm not good at computer.
Gold Supporting Member
The interiors look very similar to a Westin Hotel to me. That is they have the illusion of being high end, but aren't really premium by any stretch.

S. F. Sorrow

Geez. People in NYC pay thousands a month for an efficiently the size of a shoebox.
Curious how much a month that wide open wasted space is?

Trending Topics