Check out the new Eastwood P90 guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pete Galati, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

2. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Damn, that's a nice looking guitar!

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Yes. That is is a damn nice looking guitar. I wonder how it feels and sounds.

4. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

Uhhhh... like a Les Paul Special DC?

:crazyguy

5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I saw that too, tho' I was more interested in the Mandocaster. The one thing I couldn't determine about the P90 guitar was -- what wood is it made out of?

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I emailed him asking what kind of wood is used in the P90 Special.

I'm kind of kicking myself for having already bought a Dillion '58 Jr. Not that I regret buying it, but this Eastwood looks pretty sweet too. I'm going to try a GFS dogear P90 in the Dillion soon. After I finish the Tele.

Pete

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I put a GFS dogear P90 on my cheapo Epi LP Jr. They're darn good P90s! It doesn't sound all that much different than the SG Jr I just picked up from Musician's Friend, to tell the truth.

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

This is the PU that came in the Dillion:

[​IMG]

I'll probably get a similar amount of improvement as you got with your Epi!

I've had good luck with the sound of other GFS pickups, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Pete

9. tdu

tdu Member

I emailed him as well asking about the wood. No reply yet.

They are a local company (about 45 minutes away) and a store in a town near me carried pretty much their whole line. Every model I have tried so far has been really nice, so I am sure this one will be as well.

I have been shopping for a Special style guitar for awhile now. As soon as I get a reply on the wood, I will likely be ordering one. So Pete, if you get a reply please post it here.

10. Crankdaddy

Crankdaddy Member

I think a lot of repro guitars he sells are very cool. Not sure about build quality/sound/etc, though.

11. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

A DC had dog-earred pups these are soapbar. Come on, you know these two sets of pups sound as difference as a gazoo and a juice harp. :rolleyes:

12. tdu

tdu Member

Bad news, (well at least to me) they are a Basswood body.

13. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

He returned my email today, and forgot to tell me what the bodies are made of. Sent me a couple pictures of it being used by Steve Diggle of a band named The Buzzcocks.

I have a MIJ Tele with a basswood body, and I kind of like that. I imagine it'll be light and resonant if my Tele is any indication.

His non-reverse Firebird knockoff is basswood too.

Pete

14. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Don't like the design of the headstock.

15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

New Basswood actually sounds very much like old Swamp ash...case in point is the jap teles from the 90's...I have an Eastwood Mosrite that is one of my favorite guitars

16. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

If you go to www.eastwoodguitars.com , it's a slightly different website. There are detailed descriptions of each guitar that will indicate wood type.

17. drolling

drolling Member

Used to take all kinds of grief from the tonewood purists over my Japan-made basswood Fenders, but I always thought they sounded pretty good..

Fast-forward to the new millenium, and upscale builders like John Suhr are now championing basswood and using it in many of their finest instruments. And all of a sudden, the nattering nabobs of negativism have quietly flipped the record and changed their tune.

But the funniest thing is that when I finally removed the neck on my strat, I discovered it was an ST-54 - one of the few MIJ exports that feature an alder body.

And, as it turns out, my "Crafted in Japan" Jazzmaster's got an alder body too!

No wonder they sound so good:rolleyes:

18. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Hey, and sound samples too. On some of the guitars anyhow. Not the P90 one shown early in the thread, but the Stormbird has a basswood body with P90s.

I'm curious about his electric resonator guitar's sound, but no sound samples on that one either.

19. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

I have his Brian May model - amazing construction! 1 piece body, maple neck - for $500 it's a good deal!!!!