Check out the super clean '76 Strat...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by defaultoprime, Jan 27, 2008.

1. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

a friend stopped by to show me the Olympic White Strat he bought brand new in 1976... unbelievably clean guitar... he hasn't hardly played it in the last 30 years... he plays acoustic mostly... he isn't interested in selling right now... but if he ever does, I have first dibs... :D

You can see a small scuff on the bottom of the guitar... it's the only blemish on the entire instrument... no other scratches, scrapes, dings or checking... it's pretty much the anti-relic...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. openbar

openbar Supporting Member

Big headstock Strats are awesome, and this one is proof!

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

Bitchin!!!! Nice Prime! :)

4. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

hey riley... what's shakin' man... :)

5. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Are those white pick up covers and knobs original?

Thanks,
    Jeff

6. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

The whole smash completely original... strings are as close as this guitar has ever been to an aftermarket part... the pickup covers and knobs have yellowed too, but when compared to the white finish, which has really yellowed, they still look white...

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

Jeff - Strats came that way for a year or so circa 1976/77 as Fender transitioned from white plastic to black plastic hardware. That was also the transition time from having the serial number on the neck plate (like defalutoprime's friend's guitar) to having the serial number on the headstock.

I have seen photos of a couple of other transition year models - I recall one was natural and had the serial number up on the headstock; I think it was a 1977.

8. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have a strat just like this, they are commonly referred to as "bow tie" because of the different color covers/guard. Very cool looking.

9. James

James Member

A friend of mine has a late 70s Strat that's the same color. Interestingly, it's one of the lightest Strats I've ever played. Sounds great. It has a different pickguard than this one. Yours looks very cool!

James

10. gregc

gregc Member

70's Strat, I donno. I remember living through the 70's and all we did then was bitch about how poor the quality had deteriorated. I guess a good one did sneak out once in a while but I can't believe these are now 'desireable'. I think the new stuff is much better than the 70's production.

11. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

how much does that thing weigh... my other guitar player has a 78, I swear its 11lbs...

12. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

it's 10lbs+ if it's an ounce

13. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

sheet!!!

14. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

Heh! I remember seeing a '76 Strat ten years ago that they wanted 500 bucks for. I passed because it weighed a ton, even though the guy insisted the heft = sustain. Boy don't I feel silly now. Anyhow, I wonder if the design was really that bad - maybe it was just the manufacturing of it that suffered a bit back then. In other words, if the Custom Shop masterbuilt one of these 3-bolt strats to utter design perfection, would it be a killer Strat?