• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Check out the videos. Do you prefer Edge w/ Strat or Les Paul tones here?

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
Same song, same band. Edge is one of the best known tone chasers around, so surely he's getting what he wants in both tonewise. Both professionally recorded. Which to you prefer and why?

I vote for the Strat. It has a much more guttural tone in these samples, which I prefer.

mikebat

There is a good stretch of time between those two clips. I guess the real listening is around the 3 minute mark in his "solo".

I was expecting a thin nasally Strat sound, and a bassy Les Paul. But what I here is a great tones that suits the song to a T. The Les Paul track is a bit more awash in delay.

I couldn't pick a favorite. But it makes me realize how much I love Vox AC30's.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
The Red Rocks clip brings back some feelings. That concert and soundtrack were my musical world circa 8th or 9th grade. I remember feeling like I'd finally found new music that was meaningful. Suddenly the silliness of Judas Priest et al was as plain as day to me.

All that said, U2 lost me with their experimentation after The Joshua Tree, and I never made it back to them.

jtindle

Sounds to me like the first clip was a house mic and the second clip was recorded through the board. Maybe not but the whole mix on the second clip is just cleaner and crisper.

Coldacre

to be completely honest, if I was tested blindfolded, I wouldnt be able to tell you which guitar is which. (aside from knowing what he used on the Red Rocks concert). they're both extremely similar!

I think he had a little more gain, the AC30 cranked a little louder on Red Rocks, which is why it sounds a little hotter.

its a draw. they both sound incredible.

Coldacre

I'd love to sit a few guitarists down and listen to the entire Red Rocks concert, just the audio, no visuals; and see if people can pick which guitar he's playing! (Explorer / Strat)

Trending Topics