Check out these necks & frets ...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cubado, Jan 6, 2008.

1. cubado

cubado Member

[​IMG]

Now being offered as an option on Ruokangas Guitars...

Juha only uses the best !

Anybody try these ??

Curious ?

Thoughts ?

from the website.

"
    Does guitar tuning make you bad-tempered? Don't lose your temper - find it here!

True Temperament
    With a revolutionary new approach to the design of the guitar's fretboard, True Temperament delivers an accuracy of fret scaling never before achieved in the history of the guitar.
    Genuine innovation, and a radical new fretting technique, make it possible to accurately implement any target temperament on the guitar, while retaining full playability.

Curved Frets™ - A quantum leap in guitar technology.
    Our unique cast silicon bronze Curved Frets™ fine-tune the intonation of every single note on the guitar, without affecting playability. This is the way a piano is tuned - one note at a time. This is impossible with one-piece, straight frets. Curved Frets™ play just like standard frets. You do not need to modify your playing technique. Bending is not affected.

Dynamic Intonation™
    Our fret positions are NOT calculated mathematically. They are derived from analysis of thousands upon thousands of exacting physical measurements made on real-world strings, vibrating under real-world conditions. We call this process Dynamic Intonation™.

Website...

http://www.truetemperament.com/main.php

2. FastFret

FastFret Member

Vai is already playing a tempered fretboard on one of his Jems and he is espousing it's virtues.

3. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Interesting. Looks like it would take a while to correct habits that have taken 20+ years to develop.

4. DrBob

DrBob Member

Would changing string gauges, in particular moving from a regular (9-42, 10-46) to hybrid (Skinny Top-Heavy bottom etc) muck this up ?
    Or do you in fact have to specify your string gauge of choice when ordering ?
    And surely if you're going to be that specific with it then changing the action height would have an impact as well ?

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

It'll be fun to see the capos that are being developed for those necks. (GRIN)

I see necks like that every year at NAMM, but I've never tried playing on one. Maybe this year ....

I agree that if Juha Ruokangas is using them, that qualifies as an endorsement. Juha is a wonderful builder and he has a great ear for tone wood too.

Dana O.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's crazy. Looks like a fret job by a drunken luthier.

I'd love to try one though. Every chord that bugs me, I tried to visualize on that fretboard and those fret bends seem to fix those nastys I don't like.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I was going to say, that's how mine used to look back when I called George Dickel my best friend.

8. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I got dizzy looking at it too long.

Seriously.

9. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

i wonder what it would be like when you bend the string?

10. cubado

cubado Member

tx for input...

curious... as to what the theory is exactly?

i am a little slow on the uptake.

and is it for any style player ?

11. David Collins

David Collins Member

The theory is that after beating this dead horse for at least 400-500 years, some folks think it still hasn't learned it's lesson. :crazy

I guess I can't blame them for wanting to try. The people I feel bad for though is whoever invested money to get this project off the ground. What they apparently haven't learned from General Perronet, Tom Stone, or other folks who have tried slightly different incarnations of this theory, is that it's not likely to sell enough to return much of an investment. Times and markets change of course, but I have doubts that it's going to be much more popular this time around. Oh well.

I'm sure there's plenty of discussions in the archives about this. If you can't find any, I can point you to some other resources.

12. cubado

cubado Member

13. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I'm perfectly happy not being perfectly in tune.;)

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yep, perfect pitch is a curse. Like someone else said my whole guitar technique (for what it is worth ) is built around bending notes..........

Best, Pete.

15. 2112

2112 Member

16. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

It may have virtues. Beauty is not among them.

17. chone

chone Member

You can find a more technical explanation online somewhere, but it's basically this: the math and physics behind how our ears hear the difference between notes doesn't transfer very well to a guitar. This is due to the physics behind the guitar - the strings, frets, tension, etc. all make it very difficult to have perfect intonation on 21+ parallel frets on our stringed instruments.

These frets try to (and do a pretty damn good job) "correct" our problem of parallel frets by placing frets where each string is intonated perfectly.

18. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

so how would it handle bends? it seems to me it would "feel" odd bending through a spline shape.

19. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

They look quite different thats for sure. I just don't know though if they will ever be for me, because I guess I'm just to used to playing out of tune.:cool: Actually, maybe they are great, time will tell.
    Best Regards!

20. wes37

wes37 Member

Drunk luthier + master advertiser = tempered frets