1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Check out this cab Bob Burt just did for me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Frankenstrat2, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Check out this cab Bob Burt just did for me.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Bob at the Tampa ToneFest last summer.
    I had been hearing about Bob's fine cabs for some time now, first here at TGP, of course.
    I'd also seen some beautiful hardwood cabs he had made for Scott Lerner, Tomo Fujita and others.
    Shortly after I met Bob I acquired a vintage Kelly FACS combo. The amp was in very good sonic condition, and came with the original attenuator, and a vintage JBL speaker. The previous owner told me the cab was in 'rough shape' from being gigged for many years, but the price was right, and I bought it.
    I wish I had some 'before pictures' but I neglected to take any.
    It was a black tolex cab. Because the amp's chassis and speaker are extremely heavy, the corner joints were starting to fatigue, and separate. The tolex was ripped and skinned down to the plywood in many spots.
    In short, it was a mess cosmetically.
    After a retube from Lord Valve and a bias tune-up, it sounded like a great Kelly should- basically a blackface super reverb on serious steriods.
    I sent Bob an e-mail, described the amp and asked him if he could fabricate a duplicate cab in hardwood with a cane grille. Those were available as a custom order with an upcharge from Jim Kelly back in the early 80's. I sent Bob a picture of a hardwood Kelly, pulled the chassis, speaker and reverb pan from my fixer-upper, and sent Bob the carcass.
    Yesterday a crate was deliverd by Fed Ex. Not a box, not a carton. A crate. Plywood. Big. Solid. Scary.
    Apparently Bob's crates are legendary.
    Below are pictures of the finished product. I asked Bob to build my cab in maple, rather than pine because I was leery of pine, knowing how soft and easy pine is to dent. Obviously we weren't going to use AAAAA flame unless we were building a guitar, but Bob picked very nice rock maple indeed.
    The fit and finish is really tight, and obviously Bob spends a lot of time and is very particular with his work.
    What really impressed me is the way that Bob rounded the edges on the back panels. The old tolex panels had hard edges A nice touch that shows thought.
    As you can see, the amp now looks as killer as it sounds.
    By the way-Bob sent me this shot of what another customer did with his shipping crate.
    My kid is a bit too big to fit in it, but I do have two 120 pound dogs that might enjoy it....
    Thanks Bob!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Beautiful cab. I expect my 1x10 30/60 to arrive next week after I sent it to Lord Valve and he sent it to Jim Kelley who completely rebuilt it. Can't wait!

3. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

Welcome to the Kelley club Barry!! Enjoy. Bob

4. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hey Barry,

That's beautiful! WOW!!!!!

You told me about this so... it's nice to see the great result.

I am using the shipping crate for my bookcase!
    That's another amazing service. Cab and crate!

PS, You 'll see something special... Bob's cab for me.
    I will show you at NAMM.

Tomo

5. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Thanks Tomo. I'll see you at NAMM
    Hi Tony. I had no idea Jim was still doing any amp work at all-
    Last I heard he had retired from 'the bz' in favor of teaching.
    Hey Bob- thanks. I didn't remember that you had one until Scott told me. I had missed seeing yours that time you had it out there. Later on I got the bug. Great amps.

6. basscracker

basscracker Guest

you should have went with a closed back:eek:. i bet that cab screams,though:eek:.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Great lookin cab! Really cops the old Boogie vibe.

8. Boomer

Boomer Member

Barry:

Bob is now in possesion of my Train 45 and is going to do a head box and matching vertical 2x12. If I've explained myself correctly, it's going to be mahogany and curly maple ... at least that's what I think we decided on! LOL!

I expect it to be stunning visually and sonically and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

9. Tony Foran

I guess he's buddies with Lord Valve and agreed to repair it. It was modded heavily which is pretty common with Kelleys. I've heard rumors that he's considering building amps again.

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Barry,
    any comments on how the maple cab affects the tone of the amp? I know that a solid mahogany cab i built years ago for a tweed Deluxe sounded great, seemed to firm up the sound and make it less fizzy.
    I guess the knee jerk reaction would be to say that it would sound brighter, but am interested in what you hear.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Very nice, Baz!

Maven Peal ship their stuff in similar crates - believe me it's the only way!!!!. It took thirty screws to get at my Ganesha and my powered screwdriver failed just before the first one. I haven't had such wrist ache since I was fourteen.

Seriously all amp/cab guys should use the wooden crate method, cardboard boxes just don't cut it.

Nearly forgot, 3 of my guitars arrived from England in a similar crate (perfect, of course) - my Mother in Law used the crate for a planter.............

Best, Pete.

12. Luke V

Luke V Member

Reminds me of the old Legend amps from the 80's. Very classy.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Right on - looks great. Bob Burt's work is so awesome (as is his packing/shipping).

Awesome re-use of the shipping crate! :D

I always wanted to try a Kelley (OK, much because Holdsworth used one for his solo on "Devil Take the Hindmost"). Any other comments on it's tone/reliability?

And good call by Luke V on the Legend amp look - those amps did look very nice. Bet the Kelley is a whole other level of tone though. ;)

14. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Legend and Boogie were not the only ones doing hardwood and cane grilles back in '82.
    Here's a picture of a Jim Kelly from that era.
    I guess Bob should have put in the four ugly black baffle screws to be more accurate.
    We decided not to go with flamed maple because of today's cost. Back in '82 you could build a house with that stuff. Now its called AAAAA Flame and brings $250 a board.
    [​IMG]

15. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

That looks great. Bob is the best, IMO.

I'm the proud owner of a custom Bob Burt vertical 2x12 myself. It looks great, and sounds even better.

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Thanks.

17. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

In this case, I chose maple over pine because of the fragility of pine. I didn't want to use hardwood I could crease with my thumbnail. The pictures I found of vintage Kelly hardwood feaured flame maple (see the link above) so I was being 'period-correct' in the duplication of the cab.
    The Kelly cab is extremely open backed, as you can see from the picture. There are two horizontal slats but no backside enclosure to speak of. I honestly don't think there is a whole lot of speaker sound bouncing around in there picking up woody tone. Mostly it would be front and rear driven speaker tone, little else.
    I had checked with Bob in the initial design to see exactly what the baffle board was made of, and how it was constructed. Bob dublicated the original specs, AFAIK. (minus the four ugly black screws)
    We did not set out to make a 'fake repro' Kelly cab, or it would have had a cheap vinyl handle, and no Bob Burt badge. :D

18. Tony Foran

Barry
    How would you compare the Kelley to all the other fine amps you have played?

19. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Tony
    I want to stay on-topic- what a great job Bob Burt did on the cab.
    Kellys are a whole nother subject, not for this thread, please.
    I just found the picture of my amp before Bob got it. Later on I'll post it.
    Meanwhile, check your e-mail
    thanks
    b.

20. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

Stunning piece!

When you choose Bob, you are truely working with one of the best.