Check out this new Traynor YCS-50 amp , I was very impressed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nitehawk55, Feb 5, 2008.

1. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Made in Canada by Yorkville this 50 watt amp sounds great on the 15 watt setting too for in home use but can get plenty loud . I've been looking and comparing amps against my Carr slant 6 and this one definately has some great sounds to offer , I was really impressed with it . They were introduced late last summer and are just getting noticed but it kicks hell out of most amps I've tried .

The YCS50 is priced at $650-800 ( depending on location ) and excellent value for the money . Comes as a 50/15 watt head too BTW and a 3 channel 100/30 watt version is available if you need lots of power and versatility .

Comes in the combos and heads listed in the links at the bottom of the page.
    That 100 watt head looks interesting.....

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=392 50/15 watt 1x12 combo
    http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=391 90/20 watt 2x12 combo
    http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=60&id=404 50/15 watt head
    http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=60&id=357 100/30 watt head

2. Griz

Griz Member

Heard one of these in a store, with a Les Paul plugged straight in. Sounded killer, very plexi-like.

Great value.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've been blowing that horn at HC for a while now. Great amps.

4. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

I just got one a couple of weeks back and they are a great bargain. I got mine for $650 new and shipped. After swapping out a bad preamp tube, it really sounds nice.

5. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

How does this amp compare to the YCV50 Blue? It obviously has more features, but how does the tone differ?

6. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I wish they made that in a head version. Generally speaking me and combos dont get along.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

They do, kind of. It's switchable between 30 and 100 watts, has 3 channels instead of 2 and has EL-34s instead of 6L6s, but it's in the same YCS line.

8. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

I think they do make it in a head.

An interesting thing about the 90 watt version is its a 2-12 and its actually lighter in weight than the 1-12 50 watter.

9. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

They now show a 50 watt head on the Traynor site but I've never seen or heard of one. Maybe it isn't out yet?

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=60&id=404

10. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

I can't say because I've never played a Blue, but I can tell you a little about the YCS50. The clean channel is switchable between American and British settings. This channel does a pretty decent fender thing but its the Brit setting that I like. Crank the gain and the volume and you get really nice sounding 60's era Marshall tone. Not too high gain, more along the lines of a Bluesbreaker or Plexi. You can also dial it in to get a tone like the intro to Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty, that light crunchy tone. I put a Barber Tone press in front of the clean on the American setting and was getting great Albert King tones. This channel is pretty versatile.

The high gain channel has two settings, vintage and modern. So far I have only used the vintage setting on this channel, which I can dial in to sound pretty close to a JCM 800 sound. It does a great hot-rodded 80's Marshall thing but it can be dialed in to get a nice mid gain crunch as well. The modern setting on this channel is reported to have a Mesa flavor to it but thats not my thing so I can't tell you. This channel also has a scooped setting but again, that's not my thing so I can't really comment on its quality of sound.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

in the Marshall realm?
    I am looking for something with clean in the Fender Realm and a good distorted channel.

A small amp i need, my young Padiwans

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

That would be the Traynor YCV 40WR.

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I was very unimpressed with the 40s distortion channel. Great clean, but pretty weak drive.

The YCS-50 has both great clean and distortion.

15. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I agree , totally different amps . The YCS-50 or 100's have way more to offer and you can pretty much dial in anything you want . Music store owner told me these were by far outselling both Fender and Marshall in his store right now and he feels that these are going to give those 2 companies ( and others ) a run for the money since they are priced right and built very well with a company that will back the warranty . I think Yorkville ( Traynor ) and Mesa Boogie are 2 of the last North Am mass produced companies but correct me if I'm wrong ( we're not including the boutique makers here ).
    Once the word gets out on these it will be interesting to see how well they do .
    I expect I'll have mine by the weekend if not sooner :RoCkIn

16. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

The features are great on that thing... I think they look pretty cool too! I'm gonna have to try one out.

The big negative I see on the heads is no 16 ohm impedance option. That's a deal breaker for me! And the 100 watt one when switched to 30 watts only does 2 or 4 ohms?? How many people use 4 ohm cabs, or two 8 ohm cabs when switching down to 30 W? That doesn't make sense to me.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

That does kind of suck. I run the head in 30 watt mode into an 8 ohm cabinet anyway. Hasn't hurt anything yet.

18. macmax77

Thanks, how would you compare this amp to a Fender Deluxe and a Peavey C 30

Which one would you take?

19. macmax77

the question is

Is it a Fender clean?
    To me the Marshall Clean is NO good.

Not because it breaks, i love breaking amps, it is it's tin sounding character that i hate.

20. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Contact the company and ask them on that one , might be a mis-print in the info .

While I was checking this one out it mentioned in the manual that there were easy to get at test points and a bias pot located so you didn't have to pull the chassis . I didn't have time to locate these but that sounded like a great idea for the regular guy with a VOM meter . It comes equipped with 5881's but will also take the 6L6 as well as EL34's . Apparently the bias range is fairly forgiving too so chances are you could swap the power tubes on the fly and not have any issues . :AOK