Check out this Sweet Myka!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by drezdin, May 20, 2005.

1. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

2. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Awesome! One of the most beautifully conceived modern designs I've seen. Great lines, great balance--not at all static looking. Very cool!

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Nice job! Let's see a pic of the finished back!

4. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

That looks sweet!

6. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Wowie zowie!

Amazing piece!I'm at a loss for words!

Ted

7. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I absolutely love it. A lost design from the spaceage 50s?:eek: ;)

8. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

That guy kicks ass!:dude

9. styles76

styles76 Member

Hi all -- I'm pleased you like my new guitar!! I'm picking it up today from David Myka personally at the Classic American Guitar Show in Long Island. This instrument comes from a collaboration between David and I. I designed the shape and drew it to scale, came up with the gold top concept etc. David added some archtop vibe and his own flare and perfectly executed the design. I can't stress enough what a pleasure it's been working with David.

If you all would like, I'll post more on this later after I have a chance to plug it in and take it into my studio for a photo shoot :)

Again thanks for the kind words. I think we really succeeded in creating something special -- it's nice to see others agree!!

Rob Taylor

10. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Holee Guacamolee!!
    Besides Koll, Dave is someone who will (oneday) be getting my money....
    Congrats for a very sexxy guitfiddle!!!!!

JJ

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Unique, refreshing, sexy, and ergodynamic. Very nice!

What's your thinking behind the choice of tailpiece here, may I ask? Is it the archtop vibe?

12. styles76

styles76 Member

Hi Jon -- Thanks! After I shot my first email off to David with an attachment of the design, I heard back from him in no time. He told me his first impression of the design made him wonder what it would be like as a hollowbody fusion style instrument with a tailpiece and f-holes. I hadn't really thought along those lines until he mentioned that. I agreed it was an interesting idea, so he drew some mock ups and it really worked. The tailpiece is of David's design. I find it clever that it mimics the shape of the guitar. I think the tailpiece adds to the archtop vibe and will be interesting to realize the tonal qualities it will add on this instrument. I'll know in a few hours -- I'm headed out to the show soon!

Rob

13. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

That has to be one of the most visually "I wanna play it" guitars I've seen from a custom luthier in a long time, a lot of designs have either been done, look too far out, or way too "pretty" to touch.

This one on the other hand just has tones of flavor and looks like a "modern" classic sort of deal. Amazing, you'll have to let us know how she plays.

-TJK

14. styles76

styles76 Member

Since picking this guitar up in Long Island at the show, I've really had a chance to get to know what this unique instrument has to offer sonically. It's a tone monster and has perfect balance and tons of vibe. David and I are calling this new model, "The Sungazer" and are making the design available to his clients. I couldn't be more excited about the way it turned out and am glad to have collaborated with such a talented and creative luthier.

As promised here are the new pics:
    http://www.roberttaylorphotography.com/myka.html

Rob Taylor

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Exceptional design and execution. Killer!!

16. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Man. That is absolutely one of the most beautifully designed and crafted electric guitars i have ever seen.

Rob, would you know if David Myka would recreate this guitar as a stock model or for someone else who's interested? What would the estimated price range be?

17. styles76

styles76 Member

Hi beNsteR,
    Thanks!! -- After the interest it received at the Classic Guitar Show we too felt this design was too cool to keep to ourselves. The "Sungazer” is the newest design in the Myka line and will be available exclusively to David's clients. The price is more than fair, but it might be best to shoot David an e-mail with specs for a quote. David@MykaGuitars.com
    The goldtop theme could be duplicated or could be changed to create a whole new combination of woods and parts. A new one is currently on order now and David and I are extremely excited about seeing the endless possibilities fleshed out by other clients. :)

Rob

18. snoopy1@isoc.ne

snoopy1@isoc.ne Silver Supporting Member

I talked to Dave many times and he love to talk about guitars such a great person. My friend ordered one and I cant wait to see it in personvery very nice stuff BTW the Trem is all hand made to

19. michaelg

michaelg Member