Check out this weird frankenstein marshall - what is it worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dunnoaname, Dec 8, 2016.

1. dunnoaname

dunnoaname Member

I bought a vibrolux reverb the other day, and the seller threw in this monster to sweeten the deal a little.

[​IMG]
    Looks like a 70's 100W marshall, right?

But hey, something's off about the pilot light:
    [​IMG]

And when you take a look at the back, you'll see that you can't judge a book by its cover, or to be more precise, an amp by its cabinet:
    [​IMG]
    That's no Marshall! The amp tech who is working on the vibrolux thought it might be a London City or sound city amp that was put in an original Marshall head shell. These amps are cheaper Marshall clones that are quite common around here in the Netherlands.

It looks like the cabinet was somewhat modified to fit the oversized amp:
    [​IMG]

The amp is not in working order by the way. If it is a London City or Sound City or similar, it's probably not worth fixing her up (at least in terms of monetary value).

What do you guys think the head shell might be worth?

2. sfryette

sfryette Member

Maquis from Germany - 60s. Nice! PM me more pics if for sale. Not interested in the cab if you want to sell that separately...

tonecontrol likes this.
  3. dunnoaname

dunnoaname Member

Did some googling, most Maquis amps seem to have a solid state preamp. I think this has a tube preamp. Also the layout is reversed from most Maquis pics I've found. The most similar amp I've been able to find is this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This amp used to belong to Adrian Vandenberg. Mine looks pretty much the same except for the cabinet. It looks like Adrian's amp's looks were customised, and mine was put in a Marshall head shell. Source (in Dutch) for the pics of the VandenberG amp: http://www.euronet.nl/~wat/frames/customamp.html